3-Point Hitch 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #11  
You may also want to check your DRAFT lever the lever that is directly next to the LIFT lever. If the Draft lever is all the way up and not down it will also affect the rear 3 pt arms and not allow them to drop either. Just a suggestion.
The DRAFT lever I think has a Yellow grip!

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #12  
The guys at work had the same problem with their tractor earlier this spring. I don't operate their equipment and they don't own their own tractors at home but they know I have a tractor and call me when they have a problem. My first thought was the down speed control knob got bumped. They checked that and called back and said that was not it. So I went down to help them figure it out.

What it turned out to be was lack of lubrication, salt corrosion and rust on the 3 pt. lift arms and all moving parts back there. They use a 3 pt. pto spreader to spread salt on sidewalks in winter. Salt residue (and a combination of rust) got built up on everything (pins, swivel balls, linkage arms etc.) After numerous applications of PB Blaster and other penetrating oils I had them set a truck plow blade across the arms for weight and the arms went down. After working the arms up and down with more spray lube the arms finally worked up and down without any weight.
My own tractor sits outside all summer but is in the garage in winter. I lube everything that moves or swivels several times a year to keep mine freed up.

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #13  
I got so tired of hitting my rear remote and locking up the hydraulics I put a strip of electrical tape vertically on the fender just behind the lever. Now the "SHADOW" (tape) of the lever is in view where it shows instantly IF the lever is NOT in the center position...

Hope your fix is the lever or the flow knob at your feet and all is well.

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #14  
it's the remotes lever. check lever. has happened to me 100 times. unintentionally turning the 3pt knob enough so that the 3pt stops responding, 0 times.....
It hasnt happened to me either, but his 3pt will go up, just not down. Best fit is the lowering speed knob.
larry

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #15  
How do you know it will go up if you can't get it to go down? Did you somehow find a way to get it down then raised it again only to find it would not go back down unless you did the special trick again. If so what was the special trick it may lend some insight to the problem at hand.

If a tree falls in the woods and there is nobody to hear it does it make a sound.

Just some food for thought.

/ 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up
Look at your lever for the rear aux remote. If it is NOT in the center, the 3PT will not raise.

Opposite of my problem. I could still raise the 3PH. Just would not go Down.

FWIW, I did cycle the rear remote level. Dealer removed detents on aux remote lever before initial delivery, so if it gets bumped, it returns to center position.

You may also want to check your DRAFT lever the lever that is directly next to the LIFT lever.

Wasn't the draft lever. Tried that right away -- as soon as the lift lever wouldn't respond to down. Tried it 4-5 times. Definitely not the draft lever.

All linkages seem to be moving without binding. No leaks, dangling arms or anything mechanical appearing to be jammed, loose, or disconnected.

But good to go through the troubleshooting list. Not the aux remote lever. Not the draft lever.

Last edited:
The guys at work had the same problem... <snip>
...What it turned out to be was lack of lubrication, salt corrosion and rust on the 3 pt. lift arms ...

This is a five-week-old tractor, not quite 50 hrs, stored inside, never seen salt or snow. All the 3PH hardware still has shiny paint and barely has dust on it. Probably not going to be a corrosion or lack of lube problem.

Last edited:
How do you know it will go up if you can't get it to go down? Did you somehow find a way to get it down then raised it again only to find it would not go back down unless you did the special trick again. If so what was the special trick it may lend some insight to the problem at hand.

Just some food for thought.

Fair question.

I'd been using a PTO chipper all afternoon, which involved going to a pile of slash, setting the chipper down, chipping the slash, and then moving to the next pile. So, I'd been picking up and setting down the attachment all day.

No need to raise the chipper all the way up to move it. No sense in putting that weight so high up, only need to raise it enough to clear the terrain while moving. So the 3PH lift adjustment lever was perhaps at 3 or 4 out of 10 when I discovered it would not go down.

So moving the 3PH lift adjustment lever down wouldn't work. But it sure worked to lift it from 4 to 5, and from 5 to 7. But even at 5, and then at 7, the 3PH would not lower from its new height.

So I thought, maybe if it goes all the way up, THEN it will come down. So I moved the 3PH lift arm from 7 to 10 (or whatever the highest setting is) to see if it would come down. Nope!

So that is how I knew it would go UP but not DOWN. And that is how I ended out with the thing stuck in max UP position. (I had to get a second tractor to remove the attachment from the 3PH; since I couldn't get it down, I didn't want to leave 825 lb of chipper on the raised 3PH from Sunday till this next Friday evening.)

Not the aux hyd remote lever. Not rust & corrosion. I'm hoping it will be the 3PH descent rate knob and a fat foot.

Last edited:
   / 3 Pt Hitch Stuck in Full Up #20  
Robiefield,
I'm sure your current situation is very frustrating, but we will stick with you until it's solved.:thumbsup: I'm just throwing out some random thoughts: What about a linkage having come undone that controls the lever that allows your 3pt hitch to disengage and lower. After all it was working all day prior to it's stopping working. You know what Sherlock Holmes would say: paraphrase 'when all else seems futile seek out the most improbable, and there will be the answer' or something to that effect...
I like to try to retrace everything I was doing when things were last working and see if anything strikes me as different than what I did later that no longer worked...

BTW, I don't believe anyone mentioned the lever at the 3pt hitch location that allows one to operate the 3pt hitch from near the right rear fender/well. It is referred to as the External Position Control Lever on page 4-35 of the owner's manual Part#DH14-001 March 2010. This lever ought to be checked too to make sure it is not forcing the hitch into the full up position.
Also on page 4-36 the Lifting Arm (Lower Link) Control Lever, otherwise known as a KNOB! (It is actually mistakenly referred to as a 'lever' in the description below the picture). When turned clockwise to its end can fix the implement to a certain position. In re-reading this section I think somehow you may have disconnected this knob from what it screws into, thereby possibly having hung up the ability to lower the hitch at all; which seems to be what you're describing?! Pull back the rubber boot and verify that the knob and it's shaft are screwed into the port of the valve which can control the implement's position; including holding it up from coming down. Unscrew it until the hitch lowers.... Problem solved! :)
Think it through, it may become clear, and it may not. Good luck.

Last edited: