3 pt. log splitter

/ 3 pt. log splitter #31  
According to the email I got from them, there are physical differences between the 230 and the 230-4...not a retrofit, I have the impression.

/ 3 pt. log splitter
I believe you are right. They both look identical but not a retrofit. I order the slip over 4 way splitter adapter from Northern to go over the knife blade. Hope it will fit. I should receive it within the next ten days. Will let you know how it works. It may not have the power to push it. I don't know yet.

/ 3 pt. log splitter #33  
As an aside, any hydraulic ram will always have more power on extension as there is no space taken up by the piston inside the cylinder.

/ 3 pt. log splitter #34  
Okie, I just went to the JD website & put in the part number of the aux. hydraulic kit that you provided. I was hoping they would have a picture or description of what all is included in the kit for the $116.00. I suppose I could see a more detailed picture at the dealer when I get a chance to go there. Did you install yours & if you did was it complicated? Thanks.

/ 3 pt. log splitter #35  
molerj,

I installed mine myself and it went pretty smooth. As you can see from the parts blow-up, the kit doesn't look too intimidating. The instructions are easy to follow. Installation is straight forward.

The most difficult part for me was that some of the spaces available for my wrench to tighten fittings were a little snug because of other hydraulic plumbing in close proximity, and part #15 (plug) seats deeply in the SCV/rockshaft valve body, tightened, I believe, with a long Allen wrench. I don't remember the plug being hard to place, except I didn't have an Allen wrench long enough, so I had to rig something up. Not an overwhelming challenge. The kit fits perfectly and has worked well from the start.

So, far mine has only been used for backhoe work. In the future, I would like to install a valve for Top n Tilt and maybe have a couple extra valve functions available for hydraulic backblade manuevering. Just kinda dreaming.

OkieG

Attachments

• 5-217950-auxhydraulicskit.gif
    5-217950-auxhydraulicskit.gif
    89.7 KB · Views: 151
   / 3 pt. log splitter
Read your post on the aux. power beyond valve kit. It seems fairly simple to install on your JD tractor. Wonder how much on a 3010 Kubota tractor if I bought it and installed it myself, and if I could get the schemetic with it and not having to tear down the whole tractor to install it. Dealer ask me $600.00 installed. Paid $640.00 for the 3 pt log splitter. At present I am runing through the SCV valve at the joy stick. This way my dump and curl side on bucket would not be disable and it may get more oil presurre to the log splitter valve and less hoses to worry about. I pretty sure someone out there has done this on their own and would probably know. Thankyou.

/ 3 pt. log splitter #37  
For an easy way to tap into the hyd sys for your splitter. take the return line from your fel and have a quick disconnect installed on it. When hooking up your splitter, just unsnap it and put your splitter in line with it. you can still use your bucket and the lift. Be sure to shut the tractor off when taking the return line apart.

/ 3 pt. log splitter #38  
<font color=blue>For an easy way to tap into the hyd sys for your splitter. take the return line from your fel and have a quick disconnect installed on it. When hooking up your splitter, just unsnap it and put your splitter in line with it. you can still use your bucket and the lift. Be sure to shut the tractor off when taking the return line apart. </font color=blue>

Randall,

Some (Mine anyway) Compacts with factory loaders have a hard piped return (vs. a hose) Making your suggestion a bit easier said than done.

I checked your profile, don't know what they do on the bigger machines (we're all jealous by the way)

I've checked into a "Hydraulic kit" for my New Holland. $170 to get supply & return hoses w/ quick connects to the back of the tractor (for backhoe) but no valves.

Since the NH & Deere are both <$200, I'm guessing that the $600+ for the Kubota is some kind of mistake (maybe includes valves?), might be worth investigating further.

/ 3 pt. log splitter #39  
Oh, I was thinking of coming off the fel spools. I can't think of a tractor without a fel.

/ 3 pt. log splitter #40  
<font color=blue>not having to tear down the whole tractor to install it.</font color=blue>

On my JD installation, the operator's seat, rails and bracket had to be removed to get access. That is not particularly hard, but adds time to the project.

I really have no idea how easy installation is on a Kubota, but it seems they make a very nice machine and I bet it is not too difficult to add the PB plumbing.

<font color=blue>it may get more oil presurre to the log splitter valve</font color=blue>

It probably won't give you more pressure, as your FEL probably operates at full system pressure and most likely doesn't have it's own pressure relief valve. You may or may not get a bit more flow, though. Some parts of my FEL circuit utilize flow restrictors. If the source of your splitter fluid is travelling through a restrictor, then PB could up the flow.

OkieG