3 pt on 2040

/ 3 pt on 2040 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Is the 3 pt hitch system on a 2040 a gravity down type system? My 3 pt now raises but will not lower????? It doesn't have a implement attached but I weigh 260 and I cant get it to lower by standing on it. Eventually it will bleed down. It originally would not raise but I connected some quick disconnect lines that were just hanging and it started raising. Since this is a recent purchase, and my first JD I am at a loss.Thanks in advance for any tips, help etc. Tex

/ 3 pt on 2040 #2  
All 3 point systems are gravity down except for Zetor. Some have a valve that regulates the down leakage rate. It should be shown in the operating manual if it has one. Exactly which quick connect hydraulic hoses did you connect to what? The 3 point is simply a hydraulic cylinder that only has pressure on one end of the cylinder. If it has a down speed adjustment, it may be located pretty close to the 3 point (between my feet at the floorboard on my non JD tractor). The valve simply sets the leakage rate and if it is closed, it takes a long time (or never) to go down.

/ 3 pt on 2040
Thanks for your reply Wen. I found the release you spoke of and it was closed. Cracked it open and 3 pt operates fine.

The quick disconnects I refered to were between the control valves that operate the front end loader and the control valves that operate the rams (for a box blade). Previous owner removed the box blade prior to sale and the lines up to the valves. I suspect since he didn't plug the holes in the control valves where the lines had been that he disconnected the feed lines, so the tractor could be started without spraying fluid all over a potential buyer.

Thanks for your tip. Tex

/ 3 pt on 2040 #4  
You are welcome.

Always fun when it turns out to be something easy.

Now that will never be a problem again. Have fun. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif