3 pt. prob on 2040

/ 3 pt. prob on 2040 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Recently bought a 1977 2040. Got it home and got it running. The front end loader works fine, (a little jerky) but all in all ok. The tractor had a gannon with hydraulics that did not come with it.

My problem is that the 3 pt hitch does not do anything , raise or lower. You can take the arms and raise or lower them by hand with no resistance at all either way. There are several hyd. lines with quick disconnects that I assume went to the cylinders for the gannon, but I can't see how this would affect the raising or lowering of the 3 pt system.

I have ordered a owner's and service manual, but it will be 3-4 wks in getting here. Any tips, help, suggestions etc will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Tex.

/ 3 pt. prob on 2040 #2  
Some tractors have valving that must be selected to either the main tractor or external valves. There are also some very dumb hydraulic configurations on tractors. Look for any kind of lever between the seat or near any hydraulic line that could cut off the flow. These were called selector valves on the Massey tractors.

/ 3 pt. prob on 2040 #3  
I had a near identical situation on my MF35. The three point worked just fine, when I tested the tractor before I bought it. I got it home - and nothing...... Bummer. I asked my dad to take at look at it. The tractor has plumbing for an auxilary cylinder, two controls levers. My dad pulled the first one back - and up went the lift bars... AH! It's probably a very similar situation on your JD. If nothing else, can you ask the previous owner?

Happy and SAFE tractoring

Raptor.

/ 3 pt. prob on 2040 #4  
On my Ford 1710 the 3ph arms can be raised and lowered by hand without resistance if the 3ph level is in float position. The priority selector also gives priority to the remotes at the expense of the 3ph. So, if my lever was down and a remote valve was open, I'd have exactly what you describe.