Winches 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch

/ 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch #11  
Not sure what size arches or skidder attachments you're looking for, but I noticed Northern Tool has a sale right now on each. Don't really know anything about these particular items that they have but might be worth it to check.

/ 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch
Both the Northern Tool and Nova arches look too small for what I want to do. I am thinking a Mark 7 arch from Logrite or a Farmi winch. Both have their limitations as well as their attributes. With the terrain and roads I have on the lot the arch is very attractive. I can get right up on just about anything and out to the flat in a hurry. The really big stuff I need to get out of the deeper/wetter areas will have to wait on the big guns with the grapple.

jon

/ 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch #13  
If you use a winch like the Farmi, another thing you can do is don't limb the trees until you get near to the log pile. Just haul it out in tree length and let it ride on the smaller side branches with the butt raised off the ground. My neighbor does that and the guy with the Woodmizer never complained about too much mud/dirt in the bark. That drawback to that is that you will have a brush pile that needs to be taken care of. My neighbor burns a good size pile when he cuts saw logs.

/ 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch #14  
I have both, Farmi winch and homemade logging arch. Both have 20+ years of experience going for them. The logs I gather are both for fire wood and to saw on the Mobile Dimension mill I have.

I don't care what type of mill you use you don't want to cut dirty logs. Hands down the Farmi winch gets used more often than the logging arch does. Many times I pull the logs out to an area I can drive to then use the winch to transport with. I attached a trailer ball to the back of my winch so I can use the logging arch without taking the winch off the tractor.

As I said, I made my arch for $60.00 over 20 years ago today it would probably run around $100.00. The Farmi winch brand new cost me $995.00. If I had to decide between the arch and the winch the winch would be the winner.

Randy

/ 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch #15  
If you're worried about contaminating the logs with mud and sand, do your skidding when you have snow on the ground.

Just my 2 cents.

- Marty
But in Mississippi that'll mean NO skidding :)

/ 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch #16  
Very good Newbury ! I was kinda wondering if, and when, someone would point that out to me. :)

- Marty

/ 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch #17  
Q-Saw; didn't think about the southern states and snow. I live where we have lots of the white stuff and enjoy working{skidding} in the fluffy stuff. Of course that is until it is up past ones gut :D

/ 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch #18  
I used the Nova Jack skidding cone with a four wheeler for a few years and it worked fine but last year I bought a logging winch for my 305 DT and let me tell you it has been one of the best investments I've made.
It has about 150' of cable and with the self releasing snatch block, it has greatly reduced the work involved when cutting my fire wood. I even use the skid cone once and a while when I can't see the tree from the tractor and I think it might get caught on the way out.
I've used it to pull stuck pickups, four wheelers, I use it to move my chicken coop every now and then to new grass, and it makes a nice compact counter weight for loader work. The arch would not work for me because I simply can not back up to each tree. With the winch the tractor stays on the trail (mostly) and the trees come to it.
It helps that back in the early '80's I logged for a living and have a good understanding of felling and use of the chains and cable. I expected there would be a slow learning curve getting used to the lack of power from a skidder to a 30hp tractor with a 3/8 cable but I was very satisfied right from the beginning.
BTW, my winch is a Fransgard because thats what is sold locally. I looked at a Farmi and Igland that a couple of people have and I can't see a lot of advantage of one over the other. The design is fairly basic. I think they are all made quite well and don't see having to do much repair for a long long time.
I'm doing my fire wood now and might take a few pictures of it in action. If it could ever stop raining that is!

Good luck with what ever you decide to get.
Dan.

/ 3 pt skidding winch -vs- logging arch #19  
I've used a small arch for years with an ATV, works great except you have to manhandle the firewood up to the tie bar, or attach a small boat winch as I did. Not high production gear, but I don't need a huge volume of wood.

Having said that, a logging winch is high on the list of wishes for the tractor. I'm getting older too !

Downside to the arch as opposed to the winch is you have to drive to the wood, or snake it out with a snatch block to the hauling road which is a pain in the a**.

Chilly