3 pt speed

/ 3 pt speed #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
When working my box blade it seems like the speed of the 3 pt is way to fast.(to me anyhow) I know you can slow down how fast it drops with the little knob under the seat but how can I slow down how fast it come up?

/ 3 pt speed #2  
Maybe I don't understand the question, but mine pretty much lifts as fast as I move the height lever when the engine is at full revs, depending on the weight of the attachment.

So, if I wanted it to lift more slowly, I'd move the lever more slowly.

/ 3 pt speed #3  
Chucko,

If you're just using the box blade you can lower the rpm's and that will reduce the speed at which the 3-pt operates. I generally box blade at about 1800 rpm or so.

/ 3 pt speed
Ok let's say my RPMs are up high. I am moving along and I want to lift my box blade 1/2 inch to start a slow dump of the dirt I just picked up. Well if I try to lift it the blade will more way to fast causeing me to stop and back up and lower the blade to where I really wanted it. then start moving forwart again. The result in this is a 1/2 bump when I wanted a slow slope from 0 (or whatever) to 1/2 inch.

/ 3 pt speed
Fishman got a post in while I was replying... I know I can lower the RPM but then I lower the power to the wheels and or slow down too much to keep a full blade of dirt moving

/ 3 pt speed #6  
Chucko --

I have had good luck with my BB by "bumping" the 3ph control in small increments. What I mean by this is cycling the lever quickly to the up position then quickly back to neutral. With a little practice you will be able to move the BB up to the desired level in three or four bumps. Make the movement quickly enough that you don't even have time to take your hand off the lever.

I spread a truckload (14 tons) of gravel recently -- my first experience with my new blade. I set the angle with the top link so that the front blade was higher than the rear blade. I did the initial leveling by setting the 3ph so that it stopped short of full down, then once I got things pretty well spread out, I did final leveling with the blade down and floating. In most cases it would pick up a little gravel here and there and dribble it out in the low spots. Some places it picked up quite a bit, though, so I would give it a bump or two upward and watch what happened. If the gravel wasn't feeding out fast enough, I gave it another bump, etc.

Hope that helps, good luck. I ended up having so much fun, I went next door and leveled my neighbor's driveway, too! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 3 pt speed #7  
Is that is what is known as a bump and gravel driveway?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 3 pt speed #8  
"Is that is what is known as a bump and gravel driveway??"

I am ROLLING on the floor laughing! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No, really, that one went right over my head, I'm afraid... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Some of you guys definitely have cabin fever [drill my ROPS]. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Hope your weather improves soon! I went out yesterday and "mowed" the honeysuckle, sumac, and sassafras along about a half mile of fence row with the old Ford/Woods RC, then took the BX23/Land Pride RC out and seriously intimidated about a half-acre of ground. I'm afraid that all I did in the latter case is chop the tops off a few wild onions. Beats staring out the window at the snow... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif