300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners #1  

Deere_parts

Silver Member
Tractor
Zen-Noh ZL-1500
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Hello, as some of you know I am thinking seriously of the purchase of a 2305, 2320 or 2520 and selling my 430 Garden tractor.

As some of you may already know I'm physically disabled and will need something that is easy for me to get on and off, hook up attachments and operate.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have had 300 - 430 series models or currently have both as far as likes, dislikes, strengths, weaknesses, comfort, etc... or what you would have done/ordered different on your new machine.

A 2305 is all I really need for what I plan to do which is cut grass (currently 2 acres but plan to buy 5 to 10+ acres when I move to Texas in a year or 2), move a little dirt or mulch for landscaping on occasion and till a garden for the wife. But I'm leaning toward the 2320 or 2520 with onramp deck in the event I need to remove the deck on occasion because I cant get this 300 lb monster out from my 430 any more when I need to use the box blade. Not to mention that the 2320 and 2520 are a wery well proportioned and beautiful machines.

Here is what I'm thinking will suit my needs best and welcome your ideas and thoughts on this. I'm retired so the speed of accomplishing a task which isn't as important to me as the ease of doing it. I may just lean toward the 2520 for resale value even though I plan to keep it till I pass.

2320 with all options and filled tires
iMatch 1 lever quick hitch when it comes out.
62d onramp deck
200cx loader with 49" bucket to unload much or dirt from my pickup
Ballast box
60" box blade
Canopy from curtis or ??? Mabey even a curtis cab and mount a rooftop airconditioner /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thank you all for the help and have a blessed New Year /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mike

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners #2  
Very off-topic here, but where in Texas are you moving to?

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Very off-topic here, but where in Texas are you moving to? )</font> .

That doesn't bother me a bit.

I'm looking for something near McKinney, Just North of Dallas where my brother and my parents are now. Kind of leaning toward Bonnin or something in Fannin County where the taxes and property isn't as high as Collin County.

I'll consider just about anything in Cooke, Grayson, Fannin, Denton, Collin or Hunt counties as long as it's in the country and has good schools. I want at a minimum 5 acres so I can put in a nice stocked pond as well as it's a great excuse for why I need my toys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My wife and sister in law thought they would just cut the 2 acres we have now with push mowers and I'm here to tell you that didn't last long. It was fun to watch but I'm not cutting that much grass like that. It took them a week to finish and when it was time to start over I found a great deal on this 430 that needed help and the bankbook opened up.....Amazing how well that worked. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

BTW the 3 dump truck loads of dirt they had dropped here didn't move too far after a couple of months with a shovel and wheelborrow either which is how I justified my new 4' box blade and 3 pt hitch/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners #4  
The only thing I would recommend is the 53" bucket instead of the 49", because the 2305/2210 has no problem with it in dirt of otherwise.

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners
johndeere_2210

Thank you for the reply. There is no doubt in my mind the 2305 can easily handel the 53" bucket. My only reason for the 49" bucket would be so it would fit between the wheelwells of my free 30 year old ford pickup's bed to pull/scrape out dirt and mulch. I really don't need the capacity for the playing/goofing around that I do.

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners #6  
Hey Mike... I think you'll find the 2305 to be very user friendly. Fairly easy to hop off and on and of course plenty of power to do just about any task on most acreage's. I had a 425 prior to my 2210 and just ordered a 2305. I used my 425 at my last house to mow 1.5-2 acres... did some very minor grading with my 54" blade and pushed snow off my 200' drive with it. Loved it... Perfect fit for my uses. THEN I sat down on a 2210 for the first time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif . The power is night and day different over the 425. When mowing with my 2210/62" deck it never blinks an eye through even the little thicker stuff... where my 425/54" deck would have to be slowed through thicker spots in my lawn (septic area /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) . The loader was the main reason I switched... love it. I actually clear my 80' concrete drive with the FEL. I have 40' of garage front then narrows out to the road and it clears it with ease. The beauty of the 2210/2305 FEL, is that it literally can be taken off in a couple minutes... FAST & nice!

I think the 2210 is more comfortable than the 425's. I'm expecting the 2305 to be the same. New seat, but nothing else changes from what I can tell. I should be able to mow my new place in 30-40 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... With drive, house & garage I'll probably only be mowing 3/4 A /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The rest of my acreage is in switch grass. I can't speak for the 2320 or 2520 because I never really gave them a look. I loved my 2210 so the natural thing was to simply get the 2305.

I like your setup you listed for your new tractor. My dealer did tell me that the onramp option was available as well for the 2305 for around $500 more. I won't take my deck off & on that much so I didn't see a need. But it sounds like an excellent option. I see you want the 49" bucket to get into your truck bed... though like JD2210 I'll also recommend that you give some serious thought to the 53". I found the 49" fills up a bit to quickly. I too will likely get a 60" box blade this spring. It'll be nice to help complete landscaping and level the lawn. I have a small homemade ballast box which holds 8 JD caseweights for snow removal. But the heavier BB with my 8 case weights on it will be nice for the heavier summer FEL work.

Now to wrap up... a rooftop air conditioner huh??? Now you're well out of my class /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... THAT would be nice. Good luck with your decision & keep us posted...

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners #7  
hey i own a 2520 only got 6 hrs on it.nice machine.a bit bigger than 2305.i will use tractor for cutting grass 2.5 acres.clearing snow off 1500' driveway.and trail maintenence.it sounds like the 2305 might suit your needs.but if you want to get something a little more heavy duty,the 2520 will not disappoint /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners #8  
Spikeland, I'm trying to decide between the 2305 and the 2520. I have not seen the 2520 in person, how much bigger is it and also can you post some pictures of it? Thanks and Merry Christmas!

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners #9  
I think both machines are excellent. The 2520 is a good bit bigger and more heavily made than is the 2305. The 2305 is probably among the top in its class, which is filling up quickly with excellent tractors. When I started looking at tractors, I really was myself looking at a 4115, which was replaced by the 2520. My dealer quickly steered me to a 4310, which was followed by a 3720 and now a 4520. I am still not sure I could not have done with the 4115. His reasoning: the tractor does not give one a lot for the money, compared with the model under (2210,2305) and that above 4000, now 3000 series. This problem still exists despite the excellent design of the machine. The JD chief competitor in this class, Kubota, on paper has a machine with more features for the money. Yes, I prefer green and probably would still buy a 2520 over those offerings, but not based totally on reason. In short, to me, I would NOT get the 2520 in place of an excellent machine the 2305, and if I was looking bigger, compare the Kubota and John Deere both in that size (among others).

John M

/ 300/400 series vs 2305/2520 comparison from owners #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The JD chief competitor in this class, Kubota, on paper has a machine with more features for the money. )</font>

Kubota does provide a tractor in this class that is cheaper (in most places) than the 4115, but sure not with more features.

But back to the point, I think they are replacing the 4110 and the 4115 with the 2520 -- at least that's how it appears. It's a little longer and a little more powerful than the 4110 and a little shorter than the 4115, but doesn't have the direct injection engine like the 4115 etc.. As to weather the 4115 is a lot of tractor for the money, it depends on what you want. Personally I decided that the 4110 was the price point for my wants, but, as I say, it depends on what you plan to do with it.

The 2305 sounds like more of a direct replacement of the 2210 and so far it sounds like they did a very nice design job. I admit, I'd still like them to do a 4010 replacement. I think that was also a nice size and capability mix. Sort of a 2210 with larger wheels and ground clearance and a full cat-1 hitch. The only reason I didn't get one of those was that at the time there was no backhoe option for it (at least from Deere).

Cliff