300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived #11  
If you look in the close-up, the tractor appears to have come from the left of the frame. If that is 0 degrees, then the road is approximately at 90 degrees. If you go to the wide-angle, that would be to the right side of the picture, out of frame.

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived #12  
Is it just me? Isn't there a paved road right behind the tractor in the second shot. Where is the road in the overhead shot?
Depending on the focal length of the lens used to take the picture that road might be 100 yards away and therefore out of the first picture.

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived #13  
I agree. The road is down by the bottom of the hill. At least one tire made it that far, though.
It looks like the sheep have not been too disturbed by this event, flying tractor parts and all...

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived
I believe I found it on Google satellite view, using clues in the article.

The tractor rolled from lower left toward upper right, leaving this scar:

Google satellite view

Bruce

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived #15  
Is it me, or does there not appear to be a ROPS frame in the tangled mess that was a tractor cab?

Aaron Z

Judging by what's left of the front of that tractor, I'd say it was a fairly large 3000 or 4000 series JD ag tractor from the 1960s with a cab. Looks like the cab did not function as a very effective ROPS. Without a decent ROPS it's better to forget about the seat belt and bail out as soon as the tractor starts its rollover. This accident is a case in point. Glad the operator didn't get creamed.

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived #16  
Judging by what's left of the front of that tractor, I'd say it was a fairly large 3000 or 4000 series JD ag tractor from the 1960s with a cab. Looks like the cab did not function as a very effective ROPS. Without a decent ROPS it's better to forget about the seat belt and bail out as soon as the tractor starts its rollover. This accident is a case in point. Glad the operator didn't get creamed.
Agreed. An cab with no ROPS is a deathtrap in case of a rollover

Aaron Z

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived #17  
Judging by what's left of the front of that tractor, I'd say it was a fairly large 3000 or 4000 series JD ag tractor from the 1960s with a cab. Looks like the cab did not function as a very effective ROPS.

No, it is much newer than that looking at the cab style and hood (what's left of them). Based on the large frame I say it is an early 7000 series, ie 7200, 7400, 7600, ect.

You underestimate the abuse this ROPS took. The ROPS are designed for a simple 90* or even 180* roll, this looks like it went end-over-end the entire 300'. I think it held up pretty d*** well.

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived #18  
No, it is much newer than that looking at the cab style and hood (what's left of them). Based on the large frame I say it is an early 7000 series, ie 7200, 7400, 7600, ect. You underestimate the abuse this ROPS took. The ROPS are designed for a simple 90* or even 180* roll, this looks like it went end-over-end the entire 300'. I think it held up pretty d*** well.
not sure where you got your information that a ROPS is designed for only a 90 or at most 180 degree flip. The ROPS standard is established around energy absorption and was developed by testing many machines being rolled for multilevel turns down steep slopes. In my accident investigation job I have been able to inspect accidents that appear significantly worse than this with the machine send ROPS holding up well enough to protect the operator. My thought at first seeing the machine here was third world cab, but this was in the UK and they don't allow crap like that.

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived #19  
That is amazing that you found that photo.

I believe I found it on Google satellite view, using clues in the article.

The tractor rolled from lower left toward upper right, leaving this scar:

Google satellite view

Bruce

/ 300 foot tractor rollover--driver survived #20  
Hmm very luck man but it is fitted with a ROPS as they are built into the structure of the cab and I agree I think it held up well considering what it went through.

Jon