300 hour Service

/ 300 hour Service #1  

docone

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100HST, B6200D
Good Day Readers,

My MX5100 finally broke the 300 hour mark last weekend, so I broke out the tools and proceeded to change ALL the FLUIDS. This can be a bit overwhelming for a first timer. I went to the local Canadian Tire store (after pricing the Ag Dealer parts counter), and purchased 3 20L pails of hydraulic oil,(Motomaster TDH) which met all the specs in the manual, and got to the task at hand. Draining the drive unit, and rear diff, was easier than I expected,(once I took the fill cap off). After 30 or so minutes, no more drips, so on to the Hydrostatic filter. Those factory guys must have a LOOOOONNNNGGG wrench, cause I couldnt budge that filter with out the aid of my trusty 4lb hammer and a drift. Truthfully, I think it was the grey paint holding it. Once it cracked, I was away. Spin off the old and on with the new,( I think it looks better with a White filter, Never was fond of drab grey). After this, all that was left was fill er up. 40L in the drive and rear diff, and another 10L in the front axle. Then a really good grease job,(1.5 tubes later) I was back up and running. So I eased out the throttle, and backed her down the drive. To my utter delight, everything seemed to work normally, with one EXCEPTION!!!!! That annoying drive whine was all but GONE!! WOW what a difference, so I took a little drive up the hill to our road, in HIGH RANGE, man I have to tell you, she's like a different machine. Not sure what they use for UDT fluid, but the new stuff made her a whole lot quieter and more responsive.

Thats my story, hope you enjoy.

/ 300 hour Service #2  
sounds like you are on top of things. agree about the hyd filter(s)....think they dry mount them @ factory, my 1st removal was the same as yours. can't really comment on your big hydro performance/sound after the change, doesn't make sense (because hst?) & mine is gear, but glad you are pleased. one thing i did notice was easier gear shifting after a few hundred hrs. one recommendation i'd make given your location is in your cold winter mornings, let the engine & trans warm up plenty before use. & a diesel rated engine oil with a wider range than 15/40 for those cold starts. the mx is a great tractor

/ 300 hour Service #3  
& a diesel rated engine oil with a wider range than 15/40 for those cold starts. the mx is a great tractor

Shell Rotella T full syn is 5w-40. It's my choice.

Mark

/ 300 hour Service #4  
Shell Rotella T full syn is 5w-40. It's my choice.

Mark
use it in everything i've got, but didn't mean to get off on an oil war(s) topic. just to suggest in regards to his location during winter in light of his fluid change, the engine does spin over a lot better with the Rot T6 (or similar) than conventional 15/40 on those cold single digit starts...... i would think warm up time for the HST is also important... but he didn't say what he's using in the engine, could already be there. sounds like he's on top of maintenance

/ 300 hour Service
Thanks BB, and yes I do let her warm up plenty b4 any hard work in extreme temps, and my dealer recommended a 10w30 weight oil, I use good ol ROTELLA. Very pleased with the MX.

/ 300 hour Service #6  
I use ether Delo 400 or Rotella on the boat and tractor. Depends on the price at Wally World or BiMart. Both good oils for diesels.

/ 300 hour Service #7  
This is just a tidbit back on subject of the service interval and adding what you do about it.

In the repairs section I just commented on a new BS engine I put into a riding lawn mower yesterday. It came with an owners manual and in the manual was an oil usage chart like you see in your equipment owner's manuals.

We all know this but finally I see an engine mfgr put in print that using 30w below 40F can cause hard starting (naw really, grin) and "possible engine damage" from lack of adequate lubrication on startup.

Back when I was a kid living in S. TX. before the days of multi-vis we would run 20w in the winter and 30w in the summer. This required a seasonal oil change regardless of whether your engine was in need of an oil change or not. You had to guess at the weather when you did your fall oil change as to what the weather will be doing before the next change is due. A Pain. Don't know what you guys living in the North country did or how low a viscosity you used. Down there 20w was as thin as you could get, but it was ok for our temps....probably why nothing thinner was sold.

Mark