3000 vs 4000 series for stability

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #21  
Having driven a few other tractors, i and others find the 4x20 series to be very user friendly and forgiving, and will let you know if things are not going well as long as you are going slow enough to listen! Get the cab too, it is well worth it!

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability
I talked to my dealer and he is going to trade my R4 for a set of R1's and set them at the widest setting. If that doesn't work then the 4000 series may get a serious look.

Thanks for everyone's help...I will let you know when I get them and how I make out.

Bob

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #23  
NYBob

I have owned several tractors and decided about two seasons ago to step back from a utility tractor and back to a compact. I purchased a 3720 Cab. loved the tractor but always felt it was too tippy...particularly with the cab but regardless too narrow for its lenght and capacity. I very much got nervous mowing along hillsides etc. I therefore elected (along with a need for more HP for a new implement I purchased) to move up to a 4720 cab. Tremendous difference in stablity...a better tractor accept for one issue....there are less implements attachments available for the 4000 vs. 3000.

So unless you have a greater horsepower need I might see what you can do with your 3720 prior to trading up. There are many great suggestions to address that issue listed. Particularly like dirts spacers on his unit!

But heck what do I know....I just traded my 4720 for a new 5525. Yeah I am a sick man...its and addiction.

Best of luck....be safe

Dave

Attachments

• Side Shot 2.jpg
    Side Shot 2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 220
   / 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #24  
dirtworksequip said:
I ended up buying and installing 4 inch Unverferth wheel extension, which gave me an additional 8 inches in rear wheel stance. I think it's around 65 inches from the outside to outside of the tires with the extensions installed and the wheels turned out. It did improve the overall stability. If I had to do it over again I might go with 6 inch extensions...
Sincerely, Dirt

Dirt, did you contact Unverferth directly, or use a dealer to get your wheel extensions? Just curious on a ballpark $ amount for the extensions? I bought a 3720 for mowing and agree that the extra width would provide the most stability for those "touchy" spots.

Thanks,
Clayton

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #25  
Clayton, I contacted Unverferth by email and they refered me to a dealer that turned out to be only about 20 minutes from my place. The only problem was the dealer was really not all that familiar with Unverferths products. Anyway I told the dealer what I needed and he ordered the extensions from Unverferth and in about 2 weeks I had them on the tractor. The extensions I had made where not a stock size which made them cost more. With shipping they were just under $500.00. Quite pricey, but worth having the extra stability on side slopes.

Here's a couple of pics of the extensions. If you need more info or anything else you can email me at dirtworksequip@aol.com and I'll be glad to try and answer any of your questions.
Sincerely, Dirt

P1010649.jpg

P1010654.jpg

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #26  
dirtworksequip said:
..... The extensions I had made where not a stock size which made them cost more.

When you say not a stock size, I presume you mean not a stock thickness? If so and if you remember, what are the stock sizes available and how much cheaper would they have been?

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #27  
Dirt,

Those look great. Thanks for the info. I think I will go stop by my dealer and see what unverferth has to say about my wheel size. Like you said, $500 is a little pricey, but could be a very cheap alternative to a roll-over accident.

I am curious how your front tires align with the rear now that you have the extensions on?

clayton

/ 3000 vs 4000 series for stability #28  
Superduper, I don't remember what the stock sizes were. Originally I think the price was around $320.00, but when they arrived the dealer told me $550.00 and ended up reducing the price $50.00. As I said he really didn't have very good knowledge of Unverferths product and probably didn't communicate very well with Unverferth about pricing either. Anyway even though they were more expensive than I initially thought. I was pleased with the quality and precision of the extensions. I think a stock size was a 6 inch extension which at the time I felt was too wide. Now after putting 200 hours on the tractor, I probably would have prefered 6 inch extensions for even a little more stability. The only problem with going that wide is if the extensions make your tires extend out wider than your loader bucket or a rear implement.
Clayton, that was also my feelings about the price of the extensions, $500 was cheap compared to a possible rollover. I'll try to take you a pic of the tractor from the front, so you can see how the front tires line up with the rear tires.

Sincerely, Dirt