3016; best place for mice

/ 3016; best place for mice #11  
Ever since I placed a 5-gallon bucket trap within a few feet of where my tractors are stored the mice live in the bottom of the trap.

If someone could ever invent something to repel them with 100% effectiveness you would be a billionaire many times over in less than one day. Mice have to be responsible for damages that exceed billions and billions of dollars worldwide each year.
No mice in my tractor yet, they seem to liik to live in the boxes on the shelves in the barn. I'm interested to get more info/photos on that 5 gallon trap. Looks like a great option to get rid of these critters

/ 3016; best place for mice #14  
Hello everyone, I'm back after a 5 or 6 year hiatus.

I've had good use out of my 2012 3016 HST.

Its winter here in the NW Ore-gone Coast Range and time to bring the tractor into my shop for services.

To my point; the mice liked to nest on top of the HST in front of the dip-stick, until I blocked access with 1/4" galv screen. The 2nd preferred spot for their nests is right on top of the fuel tank, so I keep the access cover removed as much as possible.

Pictured is the last large slash-treatment for the season.

Where do the little stinky buggers nest on your tractor?
I realize this is a late reply for the winter months. I stumbled across a product called- Fresh Cab rodent repellent. I was having a real problem with the mice in my tractor and mower both. These are pouches that you can just set in or on your tractor. I’ve had great luck with them. Got them at my tractor supply store but they also sell them on Amazon.

/ 3016; best place for mice #15  
I’ve got eight outside shop cats that will kill anything that moves and they protect both my tractor and my truck. I will say that the females are the best at doing their job at killing and I even feed them both dry and wet cat food every night.
I wish I could keep barn cats. Owls and coyotes wipe them out.

/ 3016; best place for mice #16  
I realize this is a late reply for the winter months. I stumbled across a product called- Fresh Cab rodent repellent. I was having a real problem with the mice in my tractor and mower both. These are pouches that you can just set in or on your tractor. I’ve had great luck with them. Got them at my tractor supply store but they also sell them on Amazon.
I use the spin the bottle trap shown in the 2nd video above and they are very effective, but it would be nice to have a deterrent as well and I have seen the Fresh Cab packets referenced on other forums. How long do those packets last?

/ 3016; best place for mice #18  
Trouble with cats (we have them as well) is, they whizz on my tires...lol
I have tried to keep barn cats for years. But they only last a few months before the coyotes and great horned owls get them. I’ve given up on cats.

/ 3016; best place for mice #19  
Just like jyoutz - I've given up on cats. Hawks & coyotes by day - coyotes and owls by night.

I've found a "trick" that keeps mice and chipmunks out of the engine compartment. Keep the hood OPEN. The critters don't seem to like open spaces. Hoods are open on my - truck, tractor and riding mower.

I've found - after trying MANY things - dryer sheets in my truck seem to keep the critters out of the passenger compartment. And - not just a few. In the door pockets - glove box - under all the seats - magazine holder on the back of the seat. Two or three sheets in each location. Change them every week.

/ 3016; best place for mice #20  
I had 2 friends that lost their Yanmar tractors to fires caused by mice or rats.
One of them lost the whole garage, burnt to the ground as the tractor caught fire when a rodent chewed the wires and it was downhill from there.

Every time I use my tractor I blow it off with a stihl power blower which removes the seeds and other debris that mice love to eat at night.
I do as Oosik does and leave the hood open when its parked in the shop.