Backhoe 3016 BH install and a rock removal project

/ 3016 BH install and a rock removal project #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
I've had my BH on and off several times, and left it off all winter. Today I went out to put it back on and it took me nearly an hour to get everything lined up. I was really getting pizzed. Normally it takes about 5 minutes, but the fates were against me today. Once I had it just right, I moved the bucket lever and 'clunk' it went right in as easy as pie. It was just trying to find the right combination of boom movement and stabilizer movement to get everything at the right angle so it would drop into the upper and lower attach points at the same time. If I did it more often, it would be easier I know. BTW, it sits on the concrete floor of my barn on wooded blocks so the starting position couldn't be better.

I took it out to remove a rock that sticks out of the ground about 6 inches right at the edge of my dirt driveway. I dug beside it, and around it and when I had it uncovered completely, it turned out to be 9 feet long, 5 feet wide and I stopped digging when the sides got dug down to 4 feet.

Just a bit big for my little tractor. I filled in the hole and will have to grae the driveway differently so as to minimize the effect of the rock.

Other than getting some seat time, it was a wasted afternoon.

/ 3016 BH install and a rock removal project #2  
I have struggled with the 509 several times until I figured it out-

Get close enough to connect hydraulic lines (line up as close as possible), raise the BH and tilt as needed to connect to mount. move tractor back and forth until it connects with bh, lower bh in slots and pin. done.

Never can get it by moving BH around as easy as lining tractor up with the BH

JMHO

/ 3016 BH install and a rock removal project #3  
Could you use a jackhammer to break away the part that sticks out and gravel over it?

/ 3016 BH install and a rock removal project
I have struggled with the 509 several times until I figured it out-

Get close enough to connect hydraulic lines (line up as close as possible), raise the BH and tilt as needed to connect to mount. move tractor back and forth until it connects with bh, lower bh in slots and pin. done.

Never can get it by moving BH around as easy as lining tractor up with the BH

JMHO

It sorta seems that both the top and bottom have to drop at the same time, but I' not sure as it just fell into place by itself. Thinking about making a slight mod to make it slip in easier.

Could you use a jackhammer to break away the part that sticks out and gravel over it?

If I find I can't grade around enough it to make it 'invisible', I will.....but it's a last resort.

/ 3016 BH install and a rock removal project #5  
OP, does your BH seem to have enough digging power for your needs? I would like to buy a 5035 with BH, but can not afford it. So I am looking at the 3616 with a BH as a compromise. Thanks, B.

/ 3016 BH install and a rock removal project #6  
LindenBruce
Don't want to hijack the thread but I had to ask..Do you know Jimmy Judd in Linden? We used to work together at Pollardville years ago.

/ 3016 BH install and a rock removal project
OP, does your BH seem to have enough digging power for your needs? I would like to buy a 5035 with BH, but can not afford it. So I am looking at the 3616 with a BH as a compromise. Thanks, B.

I've mostly, so far, dug up many stumps with it.They've all come out. I have a mech thumb on it and use it to pickup logs and hold them for bucking with my chainsaw. It trenches very well. The rock, on the other hand, at 9x5x4 feet or 180 cuft, at 168 lbs/cuft, weighs in at 30,240 lbs. My BH couldn't handle that. :)

My old tractor had a Kelly 30 bh on it. It was slightly bigger than my new one and dug a bit better, deeper, but there is a direct, fair, proportional difference based on their sizes.

It does all I could want from it....based on my usage needs. What your usage will be, I can't say. I can say that it is a well built, well designed, well mounted unit.

/ 3016 BH install and a rock removal project #8  
Thanks Pilgrim. I have a need to replace a tree or two from time to time. Plus little projects around the property. Nothing big. Our soil can be hard pan in one area, shale in another, and just tons of rocks in other places. The hard pan and shale is the worst. Very hard crap. I guess I could install hardened teeth on the bucket if needed. Bruce