3038e Hydro Filter Leak ...

/ 3038e Hydro Filter Leak ... #1  

nikdfish

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB
One of those days where what can go wrong does...

Was bush-hogging the acreage yesterday, managed to lose the fuel level indicator when opening the hood to deal with a dust related over-heat, noticed earlier that the pond overflow pipe was clogged & water about 2' too high and then, while getting ready to put the 3038e back on the trailer for the trip home, I see evidence of a hydraulic leak on the floor pan (oil splatter).

Turns out there is a tiny split (< 1/2") about middle-way up on the side of the upper hydraulic filter (the one visible by the floor pan). I'm guessing my heel must have bumped it a few times when hitting hidden holes & ruts while cutting. The filter body is so thin (aluminium?) that it was apparently flexing a bit around a ridge of the internal filter element when bumped & eventually fatigued and cracked. It is more of a seep than a spurt, but still has to be replaced (& <100 hours since the 400 hour service ...). I believe it is the LVA16054 (will double check). Makes me consider building/installing a guard or bumper to protect it!

Nick

/ 3038e Hydro Filter Leak ... #2  
Nick,
I would just change the filter and move on. If I had this happen again I would consider a shield but I can not remember ever having a problem with them failing.

/ 3038e Hydro Filter Leak ...
Follow-up: What could go wrong, did. Filter did not want to come off, collapsing under the wrench & then was staying put regardless of tool used. Got some movement with channel locks, but only a little & hard to repeat with how the filter was getting shredded. Figured to punch a spike through & turn - bad idea. Managed to snap the nipple off at the base when the spike hit resistance in the media.

Post mortem revealed an apparently dry rubber gasket on the filter - can't believe I didn't lube it properly, but I guess that was the case.

Took a few days to get parts in, plus had to wait out the wet weather, but ended up replacing the filter head unit & gasket (an awkward place to work...) , then installing the new filter (being careful to lube properly). About $38.50 in parts w/out the filter. Replaced a pint or so of LV Hy-Gard, cranked it up & checked for leaks/seeps/drips - none found.

Keeping fingers crossed things stay OK, had enough drama for a while...

Nick

/ 3038e Hydro Filter Leak ... #4  
Looking at the bright side I bet you won't forget to lube the gasket on any filters in the future. We all make mistakes but the important thing is admitting them, in the long run it is cheaper.