305 Loader Question

/ 305 Loader Question #11  
I'll be interested in seeing the numbers too. I have a 3038e as well, but have noticed no unusual leak-down. While I don't leave the bucket up because I don't like leaving pressure on the system, I have left it up - even with a few hundred pounds in it - while I broke for lunch etc. and have never noticed any significant leakdown. That said, I do notice some roll-down when I'm carrying a full bucket of dirt for any distance. Candidly I have experienced the same thing on other tractors and makes in the past, but they were older units. My 3038 has just 200 hours and I would like to have it a little tighter. I do think JD has some engineering to do on that issue.

/ 305 Loader Question #13  
I think the loader hydraulics are undersized for the job. When I have a bucket load of gravel, the bucket is "spongy". As you drive over uneven terrain, the bucket slops back and forth. If, as physics suggest, fluids are difficult to compress, then how do the cylinders bounce? The fluid has to be going somewhere.

/ 305 Loader Question #14  
I think the loader hydraulics are undersized for the job. When I have a bucket load of gravel, the bucket is "spongy". As you drive over uneven terrain, the bucket slops back and forth. If, as physics suggest, fluids are difficult to compress, then how do the cylinders bounce? The fluid has to be going somewhere.

You may have some air in your lines. Cycle your boom and bucket a few time to purge the air. Hold the lever at the end of each cycle for a few second.

/ 305 Loader Question #15  
I hope you can post the leak down documents.
Do they cover all JD loaders?
I'd like to know the specs for my two JD loaders.
For safety reasons I do not leave my loaders up, but what like to see the allowable leak down rates for them.

I have the same documents (I think anyway) posted in the tech library on the GTT forum.

/ 305 Loader Question #16  
I realize this is an old post, but apparently John Deere still has the leakdown problem. My dealer changed the main lift cylinders, but my loader still leaks down quickly. John Deere's answer? To send a leakdown rate chart that shows up to 7 1/2" per hour is "within specs". And that's with no load! To those who say it's normal, I ask, how does my neighbor's Mahindra manage to keep the bucket head high for days, sometimes weeks without drifting? and by the way, if you call JD customer service, all they'll do is document your complaint and tell you they can't guarantee anyone will call you back. I've owned a variety of JD products over the years, but this will be the last. I knew the Mahindra could lift more, but I had no idea the JD would leakdown like it does. Live and learn.

I tested the loader on my 2yo 3032e this weekend. It dropped 2 in. in 24 hours empty. This seems reasonable to me. I admit my bucket rolls forward a little with a load on, but not enough to bother me.

Steve
southiowa

/ 305 Loader Question #17  
Good morning Steve, 2" in 24 hours would suit me just fine compared to what I have now. Considering my 3032e only has 28 hours on it, I can only imagine how much drop I might have in 2 years. Thanks-

/ 305 Loader Question #18  
I think part of it might depend on the diameter of the cylinders. My 790 was more spongy and leaked down faster than my 4005. One is a 300 loader, the other 300cx, only difference is the size of the cylinders. The 305 loader has small cylinders like the basic 300.

/ 305 Loader Question #19  
I agree, the 305 cylinders are quite small, which is my fault for not noticing before buying. That may account for the spongy operation, but the leakdown is simply a matter of clearances. A cheaper product generally has bigger clearances simply because it's faster to machine and assemble. I originally looked at the 2000 Series JD, and at one time was told the 2000 is a "premium" John Deere product. I guess that makes the 3000 their Walmart line of tractors. It's been 10 days since the JD factory rep was supposed to call. Still waiting, and have a feeling I might be waiting a long time. I've never sued anyone in my life, but it's beginning to look like John Deere may be the first. Isn't it sad that such a prestigious company doesn't care about their reputation? Prior to this, I would have made a commercial for JD, but now I'd just like to have a different brand that will do what it's supposed to do.

/ 305 Loader Question #20  
Here's an update on my 3032e/305 leakdown issue. I finally got to talk to the regional JD guy, and he said most folks don't worry about the leakdown since it's not an issue for them. He agreed, that in my case I needed to be able to rely on the boom staying in place while I prepare pallets for shipment. And he said JD has a field fix lockout valve that can be installed inline. My dealer ordered the valve, picked up the tractor and returned it within the week. They had to notch the control valve bracket for clearance for the lockout valve, and could have done a neater job. I expected the lockout valve to be a "push-pull", but it is simply a needle valve. It probably takes 4 turns to shut of the flow, but it does indeed hold the boom in place. I'm going to have to clean up the poor notching myself as well as fabricate a bigger knob that is easier to turn. The little knob on the valve is only about 1.5" in diameter, and it's really hard to turn. Bottom line- the loader shouldn't leak down, but JD did make the effort to fix the problem.