318 hydraulic help needed

/ 318 hydraulic help needed #1  

cmkh3

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 322
I have a 1990 318. It has 4 hydarulic ports up front. Two of which are on the same circuit as the rock shaft cylinder. I need to be able to seperate the control of these cylinders. As the "hydraulic flow diverter kit" from JD is NLA does anyone have a "how to do it" solution or even a recommendation for a hydraulic valve to use?

Thanks

Chris

/ 318 hydraulic help needed #2  
Go to the Yahoo Groups "john deere club II " They have all the information on Garden Tractors!

/ 318 hydraulic help needed #3  
They show up on evil bay occasionally.

If I recall, there are 3 ways to 'modify' the behavior of the rockshaft cylinder while you're trying to use the other circuits.

One - a simple mechanical lock-up kit that locks the mower deck in the up position so that you can use the rockshaft cylinder strictly with the rear hitch. Far as I know that isn't going to help with the front circuits unless with that you can somehow restrict the movement (via the rockshaft adjustment) of the rear cylinder and force the hydraulic flow up front.

Two - there was a shutoff valve kit - that took the rear cylinder out of the loop. Not as quick to switch back and forth as the diverter valve but I think this will give you what you need. Should be very easy to re-invent from standard inexpensive hydraulic parts if it does what you need.

Three - the side-mounted diverter valve. That allows easy switching front-to-back of the shared circuit.

I know at least one person has incorporated a home-created variation of #2 - using a 12v electric-solenoid operated shutoff valve. That gave him a simple dash switch control to do what you need, but does draw a bit of juice to keep closed. Can't be any worse than the electric PTO clutch, so if your not using both at the same time, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

In addition to the web site John mentioned, there's a lot of specialized expertise and knowledge on the older JD lawn and garden tractors on the weekendfreedommachines site.

/ 318 hydraulic help needed #4  
Sounds like you need a lift cylinder lock-out kit JD P/N AM39556. I think they are still available from the better dealers.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 318 hydraulic help needed
Thanks guys
I have posted on both forums so lets hope.
As an FYI I need both cylinders to be able to work seperate tools. The front a superior scoop and the rear lift (also the rock shaft cylinder) to use a modified landscape rake. OH and yes both will have nmany duties besides just the listed one. Rake the yard for rocks and then scoop them up with the superior scoop. Not as effective as having someone do it with a harley rake but then I can't spend that king of money for a one time thing.

Chris