Mowing 318 Mower Deck Help Please

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please
Yeah I found out tonight that the guy had the operators manual for the mower deck and the tractor. So I will be having to get them from him. What I do want though is the Service Manual for when things really need to be torn down.

I agree, this is a very nice little tractor. I'm impressed with the features thats on it for being such a little guy.

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #12  
I'll make one suggestion for you, the idler pulley on the deck has a spring on it. I keep a spare on hand. It ALWAYS breaks on a Sunday morning when you can't get a new one... For some reason mine rusts out and breaks every two years....

good luck!

Wayne

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #13  
I get about 4 years on the idler spring. At 13 years, I had to replace all the spindles. Then starting working it too hard, and this year (19 years old) had to replace them again but due to wear and tear on the deck replaced the dec with a 48" one that was for the 300 series circa 1996 or so. Uses the same mule drive. The deck was torn up because I blazed a lot of trails in the woods and it ate too many rocks and stumps. I had to adjust it back into form with a precision corrector (sledge) many times. New place is mostly open, but mowing time for the last 4 years finished off the spindles. Got new machine to mow big areas with, now use the 318 around the house and for the very infrequent snow (pix enclosed) In the picture, I didn't have any weights on the brackets because it was such a light snow.

Here's the 318 with 48" deck. Advise if you want pix of the support mechanisms on the underside.

Pete

Attachments

• JD318_w_plow_small.jpg
    JD318_w_plow_small.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 925
  • JD318_1990.jpg
    JD318_1990.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 2,068
   / 318 Mower Deck Help Please #14  
Hey thanks guys,

I finally got it all together. It took me a while to figure out that front belt. I was out using it today. I also got the bagger on there with the blower. Pretty nice machine. We have a Kubota BX 1500 with a 48in deck and this JD out mows it even maybe! Now time to work on the motor a bit, fine tune it. The engine lobes at half idle.

Oh yeah and one more problem. The lift arms underneath come no wheres close to the holes on the mower deck arms. I need like 6 inches more! I was looking at the cylinder in the back and it looks like the cylinder is not all the way in when I tell it to be. Maybe something jammed so it cant? Maybe relief pressure set too low? So I had to just drive around with the mower deck down the whole time.

Thanks

I remember on my 322 the lift pieces on the tractor rocker over center during the winter (snowblower instead of mmm) Take the arms and rock them 180 degrees, keep working with them and they will go over. The first spring I took off the blower and tried to install the deck I had the same problem;) Wish I still had my 322:(

I remember on my 322 the lift pieces on the tractor rocker over center during the winter (snowblower instead of mmm) Take the arms and rock them 180 degrees, keep working with them and they will go over. The first spring I took off the blower and tried to install the deck I had the same problem;) Wish I still had my 322:(

Can you explain that a bit more? Your talking about my clearance problem right? How I can get the lift arms to reach the mower deck arms

And pete, if you have pictures about it that would be great too.

Thanks

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #16  
I don't own the tractor so pictures are out of the question. It has been a few years so here goes. There is a lift link with bolt treads on it that hooks to the mower deck. You need to turn the lift link 90 degrees to get it to atttach to the tractor. This is the piece the lift link attaches to that rocks over. If it is toward the rear of the tractor it needs to be in front of the pivot point. Or vice versa. The piece on the tractor "rocks" over center. If that piece was at 3 o'clock position on the tractor it needs to rock back over to 9 o'clock position. When it is in the proper position the lift links will be long enough. You need to do both sides.

One more thing to check the nut on the lift cylinder (on the rear of the tractor) needs to be unscrewed. That is how you set the length of grass left after you cut the grass. This will cause the deck to be let down.

The hydraulic circuit that lifts the deck also is the same circuit that raises the front blade or snowblower.

Oh so maybe just that nut is turned too far in? I did notice that the nut was pretty far in towards the cylinder, but didnt think anything of it. Maybe its as simple fix as that. If not, I will try what you said.

Thanks

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #18  
Here are some pix of the 318 mounting mechanisms.

There's a shot of the adjustable lift on the right side of the tractor. This levels the deck. The other side is a flat bar, no adjustment.

There's a shot of the 50" mower deck without the blower. Only the center spindle has dual pulleys on it. You can also see the rusty idler spring. The idler pulley has a nylon spacer you need to check every year. Buy a spare spring and belt now. Buy a spare mule drive belt now.

There's a shot of the mounting mechanism for the lift post. This is the one you put on by tilting it on at a 3:00 position, then sliding it down to 6:00 where it stays and lifts the deck. Do it the 1st time lying on the floor mumbling to yourself, then you can do it blind from there on out.

There is a picture of the height adjustment at the rear of the tractor. The cylinder is just below this. The nut adjust the height. If you use any front attachments (like the snow plow) this cylinder also moves with the side to side lever.

Pete

Attachments

• jd318_adj_side.jpg
    jd318_adj_side.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 1,057
  • jd318_mount_mechanizm.jpg
    jd318_mount_mechanizm.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 570
  • jd318_lift_adjust.jpg
    jd318_lift_adjust.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 834
  • jd318_50_decl_top.jpg
    jd318_50_decl_top.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 7,664
Thanks for the pictures

It will be a few days till I can get out there and look at the 318 now, I just had to get surgery yesterday so I'm laid up for a bit :mad: Id much rather be working on that then sitting around in the house!!

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #20  
Take the model number from the mower deck and go to the JD parts web site, and you should be able to see the pattern that belt goes in. Do not look up 318 tractor as it will not show the mower. You NEED the model number from the mower! It is really wierd the way it runs through there. The spring loaded tensioner will only be in the slack part of the belt. Power enters the deck on the center spindle and goes out from there. After you get it on once, take a marker and outline it on the deck so when it breaks, which it will, you can put it on easily. Only get JD belts, they like to make odd sizes so nothing generic will fit and work at all. Keep a spare deck belt around you will need it at the worst possible time.

Just saw picture on the post, belt comes off of the right side of the center pulley, comes back around the tensioner, and the goes out the the right blade, comes all the way across the back to the left blade, at back to the center blade. As you turn it the only part that is not transmitting power is the loop around the idler. Make sure it is as tight as you can make it, or it will slip.