31x44 metal barn disassembly & move

/ 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move #1  

stancel

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
Long story short, I had a 31'deep x 44'wide metal barn put on property I was going to build a house on, and now I am not. I am looking at property about 30 miles up the road and am debating disassembling the barn and taking it with me. It is made by Eagle Carports. Everything is square tube framing and corrugated metal. Anybody every taken on something like this? It took a 3 man crew 2 days to put it up. I would probably be taking it down mostly solo. I could sell it with the property, but I would probably come out better financially by moving it.

Picture of my barn is below.

Just looking for some input and opinions. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20171213_140222.jpg
    20171213_140222.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 639
   / 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move #2  
I'd move it also. Nice building. I'd sure want to get some help though. Go a whole lot easier and less chance of damage to the building or you.

/ 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move #3  
If this were my situation, I would get a quote for original erector, to disassemble and reassemble. Obtain second price from a masonry contractor to pour new slab on grade. Can you perform site prep for new slab? New property owner would have head-start in erecting his own storage building. If new owner hires the original contractor for a new building, you should receive a finders or referral fee.

The Nightmare:
It never looks as good, 2nd time. Trim can't be saved, not a big deal but a cost for sure. Yes, screws do reverse. But neoprene gaskets don't survive. If you have never disassembled a structure, don't have experienced help, well, most folks accept advice only when it is too late to be of value. But this is a big erector set, the exception?

Matching the screw holes in the roof and wall panels- very difficult, are roof supports , Metal tubes, the purlins? Requires marking location of each panel? Big PITA. Then setting a screw in a hole that already contained a screw, holding power reduced by 50 percent or More!. Yes, larger screws may be an option as noted. If you relocate screw holes, each existing penatration in roof is a leak!!!! You will be recaulking for the rest of eternity. Panel scratch and dent in transport/ temp storage, handling. Count on some loss. You fall, get hurt on project, got good health ins.? Income while recuperating? Presumes survival.

If you list the property w/ provision that building will be moved, the potential buyers will fight like **** to keep building, low ball purchase offer if building removed, boys just love their barns! I sold a property with a new 36 x 80 barn, no other structures, It would have sold for just as much if there was no barn but I lacked the motivation to move it. Are your support posts in or rest on slab. ?? You answered yes. Mine would have been simple, concrete piers with anchor bolt with steel post receiver for wood column at grade.

Now, have you thought through you options? Building Inspectors can be very difficult in dealing w/ relocations.close review of any structural damage. Your insurance carrier may require an engineer certification before binding coverage. Building insp may also require architectural stamp... all new costs!!!

But building is Not certified? Post below questions that meaning?

EDIT: vertical roof? So panel ribs run perpendicular to roof slope? So rainwater must pass over each rib? So there is always water or ice on the roof equal to the panel rib height? It does freeze at times?

Last edited:
   / 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move
Thanks for the reply. This is all square tube framing. No wood. No nails. It is bolted to the slab with concrete anchor bolts (easy to remove). This is not a vertical roof, so all the panels just lay across the framing and bolt on.

It would probably stay disassembled for a while at the new place while I form up a slab. I have quite a lot of experience building stuff, but certainly not an expert.

My hope was to match up all the screw holes and go one size larger on the screws to make sure it is all tight. The slab will without a doubt be slightly different in regards to slop and level variations. I was thinking lay out the base framing then use shims where there is space under the square tube. It is just storage. I will slope the edges of the slab to help with water intrusion, but if some gets in then so be it. I will just seal it as best I can.

/ 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move #5  
majorwager makes some very valid points to seriously consider.

Myself, I would not even entertain the thought of disassembling, moving and re-erecting a building of that size, solo, not even with a second person to help.

I also think you may be surprised at the value your building may add to the the property and the prospective buyer.

Edit: Just read that you do not plan on re-erecting it right away after disassembling. Keep in mind when sheet metal is stacked upon each other, rain water can weep in between the sheets and over a period of time, can cause staining of the paint surface. I was cautioned of that fact when we built our first metal sided pole barn.

/ 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move
Very valid point, and I have thought long and hard about the property value with vs. without the barn.

What you don't see in the picture is that the building now has electricity run to it with lights and a couple receptacles. That electrical feed also runs the water well pump which I am sure bumps up the value of the property. Having water and electricity is a pretty big plus in my book. That would go away if the barn comes down.

/ 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move #7  
Like to see several interior photos, wall and roof. Not familiar with bolted roof panels? What is the sidewall and roof purlin system? Why would a new slab need shims? Damage will likely occur to any building in storage, panels scratch, dent then rust.

EDIT: looked at manufacturer, they note structure is not certified? Not sure of that meaning? If it is demolished by nature, it is not covered by ins. In NY, no structure can be erected, unless it meets std building code.

A small carport might be exempt but not an enclosed barn, difference between temporary and permanent structure? Not familiar w/ your state building code. Looks like large erector set.

Last edited:
   / 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move #8  
Huummmm, every time I've estimated a project like this, I grossly underestimate the time, cost or hassle it takes or damage done to the object in the process. Personally, I'd sell it with the property.

/ 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move #9  
Like to see several interior photos, wall and roof. Not familiar with bolted roof panels? What is the sidewall and roof purlin system? Why would a new slab need shims? Damage will likely occur to any building in storage, panels scratch, dent then rust.

EDIT: looked at manufacturer, they note structure is not certified? Not sure of that meaning? If it is demolished by nature, it is not covered by ins. In NY, no structure can be erected, unless it meets std building code.

A small carport might be exempt but not an enclosed barn, difference between temporary and permanent structure? Not familiar w/ your state building code. Looks like large erector set.

Thankfully he isn't in NY. I'm not sure why you are bringing up points not relevant to his question, but his structure type is VERY common across the south. They are everywhere. Building codes don't apply thankfully...

These structures are very easy to assemble/disassemble. Screws hold on all the panels, both side and roof. The metal tube structure itself is often screwed together as well, although sometimes they use bolts for that. In any case, I'd probably leave it, or at least try to sell with it included. If the buyer see's no value in it, then factoro into the contract for you to dissassemble/remove.

/ 31x44 metal barn disassembly & move #10  
King, relatively new to site, wasn't aware that you pre-screen posts for comments you believe irrelevant. I now understand that tin can construction may well be a staple of southern architecture. Absent infinite wisdom, some on the planet are doomed to simply learn as they go forward. Can't find "factoro" in dictionary, perhaps a geographical term?