3215 front wheel drive failure.

/ 3215 front wheel drive failure. #1  

Traymar73

Tractor
Mahindra 3215
The front wheel drive on my 3215 failed again when I was moving snow from a drive way. This was the second time it has happened. First time I was finish mowing. At that time I thought I may have shock loaded it going from reverse to foreword . Replaced front driveline and both collars. The rear collar looked ok but was replaced any way. The front collar was stripped on the pinion and driveshaft. The front splines on the driveshaft were also stripped.
This time my dealer didn't have the parts in stock so I had to figure out a way to get back to work. First off I removed the drive shaft housing then the driveshaft. Again the front was stripped and the rear was good. The splines on the output and front pinion are the same so I cut the front collar in half and cut 1 inch off of the rear collar. Then I welded the stripped collars to the collars with the good splines. I then put the driveshaft back on with the stripped sides of the collars towards one another(stripped sides on the shaft). Once I was ok with the fit I welded the stripped collars directly to the driveshaft . It a temporary fix but it worked great and I was back to work removing snow and made more than enough $$ to pay for the parts to repair it correctly.

/ 3215 front wheel drive failure.
I can get some by the end of the week.

/ 3215 front wheel drive failure. #4  
The front wheel drive on my 3215 failed again when I was moving snow from a drive way. This was the second time it has happened. First time I was finish mowing. At that time I thought I may have shock loaded it going from reverse to foreword . Replaced front driveline and both collars. The rear collar looked ok but was replaced any way. The front collar was stripped on the pinion and driveshaft. The front splines on the driveshaft were also stripped.
This time my dealer didn't have the parts in stock so I had to figure out a way to get back to work. First off I removed the drive shaft housing then the driveshaft. Again the front was stripped and the rear was good. The splines on the output and front pinion are the same so I cut the front collar in half and cut 1 inch off of the rear collar. Then I welded the stripped collars to the collars with the good splines. I then put the driveshaft back on with the stripped sides of the collars towards one another(stripped sides on the shaft). Once I was ok with the fit I welded the stripped collars directly to the driveshaft . It a temporary fix but it worked great and I was back to work removing snow and made more than enough $$ to pay for the parts to repair it correctly.

I'm wondering what is causing this. Do you still have the factory size tires front and rear? Are you running chains on either end? Are you using the diff lock extensively?

/ 3215 front wheel drive failure. #5  
i have had to have mine repaired as well. was box blading a dirt driveway and pop, stripped out..

Not very confident it wont happen again..

rob

/ 3215 front wheel drive failure. #6  
i have had to have mine repaired as well. was box blading a dirt driveway and pop, stripped out..

Not very confident it wont happen again..

rob

I've retailed about 50 of the 3215/3316 models and have not seen that failure, but it is good to have a heads-up. I had a little Ford New Holland compact years ago that would do this occasionally. I welded it up like described above and it held for a while. Sounds like the coupler is a little soft, but at least it isn't damaging the pinion. It is probably soft on purpose, but maybe too soft?

/ 3215 front wheel drive failure. #7  
On the 3215 that I had this experience with, it was the failure of the snap ring that caused the problem. The snap ring was the causual part.

I have stock tires and no traction devices. I also think Mahindra is using the couplers for a ( fuse) in order to keep from hurting the pinion and output. The front coupler is only 2" and the rear is about 3 1/2". I'm guessing that the front strips due to it being shorter, but when it does in my case the driveline has striped on the front too. Maybe if the drive line was a bit harder owners could carry spare couplers and do field repairs. Sorry about the pics of the repair. I haven't been to my shop where I keep the tractor.

/ 3215 front wheel drive failure. #9  
What is involved in the repair. the dealer did mine under warranty but that is almost up and the next one would be on me...

There are 2 bolts that hold the driveline tube on and a hose clamp. It's a 2 piece tube that slides towards one another. Then there will be a snap ring on the rear of the driveshaft . Move it towards the center and slide the rear coupler foreword, then slide the front coupler back. If it's stripped you may have to tap it with a hammer. Inspect the front of the driveline for spline damage. I had to order both couplers and a driveline because it was stripped also. Reinstall in reverse order and go to work. I should have pics of the temporary repair this weekend.