3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds
Fueled up that morning before i started, should have at least 5 gallons. Electric fuel pump is working check number 6 this thread. I don't have a way to check pressure of output but, from what little i know of diesels the pump is mainly to keep injector pump supplied.
thanks
Tim

Sorry number 5 not 6. I need my 'puter glasses and a bigger screen.
Tim

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #13  
You might also check the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid connection to make sure it's
good and it's located on the right side and is threaded into the fuel injector pump. It's controlled by the either the on or start position of the key.
Does the engine always shut down in the 2-3 seconds and does the tractor have to be moving for it to happen?

Checked and the ETR is the Fuel Shutoff solenoid and is in the fuse circuit that blew on you, hopes this helps.

Something else you might make sure your battery connections are good, I have to clean mind every year.

Moving or not, just not much time to move very far. The fuel solenoid You are referring to, would that be round thing with 2 wires hidden behind but i FEEL that it is there? I had disconnected it at plug and have 1 wire hot in on/run position and other in start only position. Yes, stops every time just as if you intentionally did it. Even tried throttling up some but still extremely consistent. I starts right away, but stops just as quick. What would be a way to test this solenoid without buying a new one, seems my dealer went out of business, but i should be able to go to cub dealer to get one. I don't believe they have a mechanics shop though. But, if this solenoid is bad would it allow it to start at all. It wont start if disconnected. If i remember right, (i tried so many things yesterday) if i just jump one or the other side it would not start at all. Both wires had to be connected to get it to start.
Thanks tim

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #15  
It can be tested after removing it with a 12 volt supply, but you need a replacement washer. When testing they are looking for the protruion distance or if the plunger fails to retract. My only guess is that maybe your getting just enough fuel to run the 2-3 seconds before running out, maybe the solenoid is not being held up by the safety stop relay which engerizes it from the starter switch. Check the relay assembly, one should be for the lamps and the other is the load, both should be together.

Looks like the relays are below the steering wheel to the left attached to the steering assembly under the panel.

Hey thanks, I'll have to try that as soon as I can get there. May not get there to work on it till friday, maybe sooner.
Thanks again, I'll leave a post as soon as i find out.
Tim

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #17  
Something else to check is the to make sure the fuel tank filler cap and filter screen are not clogged and then causing a vacuum. There's not many thing I can see would give you a 2-3 second failure rate every time, except for a fuel issue, any other problem I think would be more random in time. Like I mentioned before try this, unhooking the engine stop solenoid connectors and put a meter on them and turn the key on and see if the circuit will stay up, this should test everything up to the solenoid.
Sorry for some issue on component names but it seems one person wrote description section and someone else wrote the schematics.

Thanks, i will look into it. Just on lunch break. Thought i'd take a looksee.
Tim

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #19  
Timmanny, have you ever drained your fuel tank? I know on my 2615 it is on the scheduled maintenance chart. There could possibly be something in there blocking steady fuel supply.

/ 3215 starts, runs and then dies after 2-3 seconds #20  
Sorry to hear this. I'm an engineer by day so take what I say worth a grain of salt LOL. If it starts and shuts off at the same intervals I'd suspect it has something to do within the electronics. A manual issue would not be a repeatable pattern in my opinion. Stupid question but do you have a warranty on the machine? Might be worthwhile to let a dealer look at it. Please let us know what it ends up being.