3320 down!

/ 3320 down! #1  

browns40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD3520
Looks like I'll be without the tractor for a while...

2 weeks ago I was doing some PM to the 3320, changing engine oil while waiting on other filters to come in... no problems anywhere... front axle level perfect, engine oil level perfect, hydraulic, etc, etc... everything solid as a rock...

Last week I graded a friends parking lot: his place is about a mile up the road, so instead of trailering it, I just rode up there. BIG MISTAKE I guess!

The day after finishing the job I was examining under the tractor in preparations for changing the hydraulic suction filter and found engine oil drips sitting on the mid mount area... same thing as last time I figured: blown rear main seal.:(

Last time I figured bushogging/rogue debris was the problem, working its way up behing the flywheel, but that was fixed... course between running at transport speed for 5 minutes & switching to 15W-40, neither the oil pressure, nor the oil temperature had ever really gotten up there--never ran at PTO speed for any length of time even... wonder if the new seal was again a bad one, or if it ever did go back together quite right?:confused:

So I took off the loader and winch yesterday, and brought it up to load it on the trailer, and theres oil on both front wheel plates--oil seals on both sides had let go--turned out to be around a quart low from leaking! :mad:

I love this machine, it's a dream to operate, but so far there's been a bad ignition switch, weak loader bolts, incorrectly installed rear main seal (dealer found it creased when replaced), 3pt pressure drop/recovery since day one, and now front axle oil seals letting go when driven at transport speed.

Wondering why the heck I went for a first year production model at all...

So instead of finishing projects I took vacation for, once againe I'm hauling it back for service... thinking I may have a lemon here, & thinking I maybe should trade it in towards another unit... this one seems cursed!:eek:

Just venting... maybe this one got assembled Christmas Eve or something!:p

/ 3320 down! #2  
Bummer with the problems, hope they get it fixed up for you soon...

/ 3320 down! #3  
Warning: personal opinion coming up; After killing lots of time on different days on the tractor lot at the county fair, I think the 3X20 series is a notch below the series it replaced. They do have some interesting new features but overall they appear to have been cheapened up (except the price). As a former Deere stockholder (I did well but am now in the energy sector) and reading Annual reports, SEC filings, etc. I knew what they had in mind about reducing costs to increase shareholder value but I was dismayed at the result. In fact, if i was buying today I would be on a New Holland instead. We might be approaching a point where we're going to "coast" on the JD reputation for a while. Keep in mind these thoughts are mine as a very satisfied 4310 owner of three years.

/ 3320 down! #5  
Get it back to the same dealer who has been helping with all the problems. He will know the history and maybe help you out.

Sounds like time for a 3720 or 4320!! Maybe a CAB model :)

/ 3320 down! #6  
Sorry to hear that. How many hours do you have on it.I drive my 3120 all over town putting about 5-7 miles on it every time.I have 56.0 hrs as of last night.I have heard of the front axles leaking but not both sides at the same time.I do work at a JD dealership and have seen several 3320 with bad front axle seals.Hope you can fix the problem. Good luck

Matthew3120

/ 3320 down!
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the words of support!:)

Dropped it off today and will be quoted on 3520 & 3720 Monday... logically theres no way to avoid a painful beating on a trade, so I'll probably not go that route, but that 40% increase at the PTO would sure be nice...

Turns out they replaced one of the front seals last time it was in, but forgot to mention it!:eek: Service fella told me he's seen a few it's happened to so far, just not usually both at once... he attributed it to a lot of mud and/or water time (which I am very guilty of). It's all warranty stuff for sure, so they'll take good care of me there...

He hadn't heard about the rockshaft drop problem posted on here a while back, but I still had the printout from JD parts on it, so that will get taken care of at the same time.

When I was looking at tractors initially, the 855, 955, 4310 & 4410 were the "deeres in my sights", but Daniel had this one with full warranty, options, etc. at too good a price to pass up... unfortunately my advice of never buying a first year run of anything was overlooked.

Honestly I love this tractor, and have never been put out of commission by a problem except for the ignition switch... adding fluids on a regular basis is something I just don't feel comfortable with though... I want my fluids staying put!:rolleyes:

I do have 232 hours on the machine, and it has not been babied by any stretch! Not beat, but worked up to it's capabilities.

Anyway, I'll post their findings when I get them so folks can be aware of potential weak spots to look for on their machines.