Mowing 3320

/ 3320 #1  

MikeF

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3039R cab
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice from some 3 series owners with MMM on their tractors. I'm looking at getting a 3320 for multiple tasks that my 5083 is way to big for. I am also looking to mow my very open lawn approx 2 ac with it. I'm looking at both 60 & 72" 7 iron mm mowers. I see that some say the newer ones are better, ie better caster wheels better cut etc.....

All input appreciated

Mike

/ 3320 #2  
I've been using a 3320 (first O/S - now CAB) since 2008 for approx 2 acre mow with 72" 7-Iron MMM. Turf tires. The lawn is not perfect nor is it totally flat, probably a bit worse from some minor soil compaction. My castor wheels are adjusted for height so most of the time they do not touch the ground. If the ground is uneven, the 72" MMM may have a tendency to scalp a bit more than the 60". I have some areas not compatible with a 3320 so also have a JD X739 with 60" MMM. The cut might initially be slightly better with the X739, but a day after I can't see any difference worth mentioning.

If I use the 3320, then I have to complete the job using the X739, so in reality I don't find much time difference compared to only using the X739 mainly because if maneuvers better around obstacles and everything gets done all at once. Biggest disadvantage is no air conditioning on 739 vs CAB. The castor wheels on the 739 deck do not swivel, so sometimes on a tight turn they can gouge on uneven ground.

A lot of people say the 3320 is "feels tippy" and many set the wheels to "wide" setting which is about 58" - 59" depending on tires and accuracy of measurement. A 60" deck on a 3320 won't really give you any reach or overhang outside the tires and at the end of the day, I suspect you would not be happy with that choice.

/ 3320 #3  
Hiya,

If you already have a utility tractor and haven't purchased the 3320 yet, I suggest you go a little smaller and look at the 2x20 or 20xxr series with a 62D drive over deck. I have a 3320 cab and thought about using it for mowing but several of my acres of lawn are sloped, oddly shaped, have trees/out buildings and have a septic system. The cab with a loader and loaded tires weighs about 2 and a half tons, not something I want to drive over a septic system even with turfs on it.

I found a few slightly used 60D's for the 3320 at good prices but I ended up finding a lightly used 2520 and a 62D for mowing. It's not as nice as a cab on those hot days but for mowing the smaller lighter chassis is in my opinion a better overall mowing platform unless your mowing wide open flat areas in the hot sun, then I'll take a 3320 cab with AC.

My 2 cents,

Tom

/ 3320 #4  
I have a 3720 with 7 Iron 72" mmm bought new spring of 2007. I mow two properties totaling over 6 acres and have never had a single issue with it yet. It will give many years of trouble free mowing if maintained according to the OP manual. I've often thought about getting the newer drive over deck version but always back away since this works so well.

/ 3320
Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned I'm looking at a open station unit. I had a 72" zero turn and it did not scalp on my lawn but the ride quality was terrible and it did not disperse the clippings well. I looked at the 2025 unit but that unit is hard to get on and off of the seat has no suspension and would need weights or a loader for counter weight when using my aerator as it very heavy.

My fanther has a bone disease but loves to mow the lawn so a smoother ride is a must. Mowing speed is not a concern as we find mowing quite enjoyable �� my main concern is dad gets to mow some and the cut is decent with the MMM. I see there are two versions offered auto connect and manual. I'm not going to take it off much and am fairly handy but since I'm looking at used ones will either one work? Do these decks ride on the wheels or are they suspended ? I read somewhere the casters tear ground when backing but that may have been a deck not adjusted properly.

Mike

/ 3320 #6  
[QUOTE Do these decks ride on the wheels or are they suspended ? I read somewhere the casters tear ground when backing but that may have been a deck not adjusted properly.Mike[/QUOTE]

From the JD manual "Wheels must not ride on ground supporting mower weight. NOTE: Bottom of wheels should be approximately 6-13 mm (1/4-1/2 in.) from the ground. "

If the front wheels gouge when backing, either they are not properly adjusted or they hit a high spot.

I have no experience with 7-Iron drive overs. The standard 7-Iron MMM is not really "difficult" to install / remove, but I would use words like awkward / tedious etc. First you need a flat surface - smooth hard is best, since the MMM has to be rolled under the tractor. I find the front wheel towers usually hit the front tires, so the front of the tractor has to be lifted - using FEL is easiest. There are two pins on the rear of the MMM with a retaining ring that are a real PITA to install / remove. Connecting / disconnecting the MMM drive shaft is also quite awkward. I usually only remove mine in the fall for cleaning / blade sharpening / storage and reinstall again in spring. Exceptions tend to be if doing backhoe work, as I managed to bend one of the wheel shafts by not removing and driving over part of an excavation.

The auto connect drive over deck on my X739 is slick as goose s**t. Flip a lever on the 4 wheels, lower the MMM to the ground, drop the front support, , flip another lever underneath and drive off. As stated I have not looked into the drive over for 3320, but if compatible, I'd be willing to pay the extra money, all things being equal.

/ 3320 #7  
Guess I better read my owners manual. (again) Always run casters on the ground. Have been mowing about 1-1/2 acre or so for 1 year with 72" MMM on 3520 with cab. Only gouging is from rear (fixed - don't turn) casters on sharp turns in reverse. Cut is excellent. I am very happy with mower; was about $1300 +/- used after all parts were bought. Need to really do your homework if buying used & MMM not already on a tractor; there are many special mounting pieces needed & price will add up quick if ordered new from dealer. Drive over decks are not worth the money in my opinion; I was surprised how easy mine came off. Probably takes ~15 minutes to put back on.

/ 3320 #8  
[QUOTE Drive over decks are not worth the money in my opinion; I was surprised how easy mine came off. Probably takes ~15 minutes to put back on.[/QUOTE]

This is not meant to be argumentative.
My MMM was a lot easier to R&R in 2008 when first purchased. I think the ease of R&R decreases as the age of the operator increases. Sort of inversely proportional to one's ability to, or interest in crawling around on the floor. Same comment for the worth of Drive Over / Auto Connect. In the case of the X739, IIRC the drive over deck was standard and the Auto Connect only added about $200 or less.

Agree cut = excellent.

Yes if the 3320 / MMM the OP is looking at does not have all the proper mounting brackets, 3rd SCV, lift kit and Mid-PTO, the MMM will be the cheapest part. Even if a DIY'er the Mid-PTO is $$$ to retro fit. When I switched from O/S to CAB, I got a reasonably good deal on the CAB. I already had the MMM and all the hardware, but, had to add the Mid-PTO, special bracket for CAB install & Power Beyond for BH. IIRC the bill was $3,000+.

/ 3320 #9  
My MMM was a lot easier to R&R in 2008 when first purchased. I think the ease of R&R decreases as the age of the operator increases. Sort of inversely proportional to one's ability to, or interest in crawling around on the floor.

Agree. At 72 yrs of age, I know exactly what you are saying and this is why I think about replacing my older 72" 7 Iron mmm with the newer drive over deck.

/ 3320 #10  
Mike - I did a lot of research before buying mine; pretty sure you would be happier with 72" MMM. As far as ride quality; there can be a little side-to-side movement when the ground is rough; my normal mowing speed is 2-3 mph which I feel is pretty comfortable ride.

Cinder - I didn't mean to come across as argumentative. Sorry. Just trying to point out that while the older non-drive-over MMM is a little awkward to install it is a lot easier than what I expected from reading past forum into. I find it just as much of a pain to install rototiller or MX5 as putting the MMM on (it really helps to have a 2nd person; goes much faster & easier). Guess I'm pretty thrifty with my $ so that's why try to shop used for all equipment and couldn't justify spending at least double the $ to get a drive over deck - maybe in 10-15 years when I get beyond 60 I will change my tune about that.