3500 truck needs CDL?

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #11  
Attached is NYS DMV license requirements. No CDL required if truck and trailer GCWR is 26,000 or less. It does not mention anything about regular or commercial plates.

Moot point. A 3500 isn't gonna have "regular" passenger plates on it in NY.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #12  

But it will in pa. I have a standard truck plate i.e. non commercial or apportioned plates on my 4700 international. Anyone with a standard license can drive it. In PA that's a class c. I can also throw a 9999 lb trailer behind it and it's still good. Truck is licensed for 25990 currently for the truck and 38,000 combination. We pull around 20k-22k behind it normally and run out of state sometimes so we have medical cards and class a licenses.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #13  
A CDL must be obtained by the driver of any of the following vehicles:

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.

Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating): Value specified by the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a single vehicle or combination of vehicles, or the registered gross weight.

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating): Value specified by the manufacturer as the GVWR of the power unit plus the GVWR of the towed unit or units, or the combined registered weight of the power unit plus the towed unit(s).

Drivers Exempt from Obtaining a CDL:

Under state and federal law, certain drivers are not subject to the requirements of the CDL program. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has determined that these exemptions will not diminish the safe operation of commercial vehicles on the highways.

The following vehicle operators are not required to obtain a CDL:

Farm Equipment Operators - This exemption covers legitimate farm-to-market operations by farmers, not commercial grain haulers. CDLs are not required to operate vehicles:
Controlled and operated by a farmer, a member of the farmerʼs family or an employee;
Used to transport farm products, equipment or supplies to or from a farm (including nurseries and aquacultures);
Used within 150 air miles of the farm; and
Not used in the operations of a common or contract carrier; and
Used in nursery or agricultural operations.

NOTE: For the drivers of truck-tractor semitrailers, the farmer, his or her spouse and their children, parents on both sides, brothers and sisters on both sides and their spouses operating a truck-tractor semitrailer and meeting the above criteria also are exempted from the CDL Program. These drivers must be at least age 21, and the vehicle must have Farm plates. These drivers are still required to take the appropriate CDL written, skills and road tests to be licensed.

Firefighting Equipment Operators - Because most firefighting organizations have extensive initial training and re- training requirements for their equipment operators, Illinois waives CDL requirements for operators of firefighting equipment owned or operated by or for a government agency, when responding to or returning from an emergency.

Military Vehicle Operators - Operators of military vehicles for military purposes are exempt from obtaining a CDL.

Recreational Vehicle Operators - Recreational vehicle operators, when using the vehicle primarily for personal use, do not need a CDL.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #14  
Sounds like a regular nightmare if you were planning on driving(moving) cross country to relocate.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #15  
When we ordered the 2016 Diesel Ford offered a 9800 lb derate for F250 and a 9900 lb derate for F350

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #16  
Sounds like a regular nightmare if you were planning on driving(moving) cross country to relocate.

I was stopped in Wichita while moving some of the tools from my shop including 3 gang boxes, welders, and a drill press between Oklahoma and Nebraska. They pulled me over because they thought I was a commercial load without commercial plates. What makes it worse is Oklahoma does not tag trailers but fortunately they were familiar with that. Never even asked for my license, registration, or insurance. Fortunately my daughters bike and a few things were in the bed of the truck and I was able to explain my way out of it.

While at some campgrounds I've seen people who use commercial looking trucks or trailers and sometimes they will say "personal coach" on the door to avoid hassles I believe.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #17  
But it will in pa. I have a standard truck plate i.e. non commercial or apportioned plates on my 4700 international. Anyone with a standard license can drive it. In PA that's a class c. I can also throw a 9999 lb trailer behind it and it's still good. Truck is licensed for 25990 currently for the truck and 38,000 combination. We pull around 20k-22k behind it normally and run out of state sometimes so we have medical cards and class a licenses.

Well I was called out by a fellow NYer. I don't live in PA or comment on your vehicle plating.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #18  

It could have regular passenger plates. I bought a 2500HD Crew Cab and I could registered it either way and could have done the same if I bought a 3500 Crew Cab. I Chose Commercial plates. I have 2 neighbors with 3500's with passenger plates. My truck has a GVWR of 9500 and my trailer GVWR is 14K. Total GVWR is 23,500. I've gone through weigh stations many times. Most times they wave me through but when I have been checked GVWR was all they were concerned about. In fact I asked and the inspector told me a regular drivers license (class D) is good up to 26K combined GVWR as written in the license class description pdf I posted. It made no difference that I have commercial or passenger plates. I'm not a business either and I do have a CDL not that I needed it.

I'm not calling you out Rick, just stating how trucks in the middle of the state can be registered and the license required to drive them.

Last edited:
   / 3500 truck needs CDL? #19  
Midnightoyl sure provided us with a lot of details...good post on his part. I just wanted to chime in here with one more thing I recently recalled. Back in 1987 when I got my first CDL I was basically grandfathered in (written test only, no road test) as I had been driving trucks for my employer since 1970. What I drove almost never exceeded the 26,001 pound single vehicle limit and I never towed anything, BUT: My employer required me to have a CDL regardless because part of the law as written back then read: "Anyone employed for the PRINCIPLE PURPOSE (emphasis added) of operating a motor vehicle is required to have a CDL". I did not transport passengers or hazardous materials at the time.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #20  
...While at some campgrounds I've seen people who use commercial looking trucks or trailers and sometimes they will say "personal coach" on the door to avoid hassles I believe.

NOT FOR HIRE is displayed at times also - just means the owner/operator in not engaged in commercial enterprise; think weekend warrior race car drivers