3520 cab model strobe installation and error code 65 & 67

/ 3520 cab model strobe installation and error code 65 & 67 #1  

cmboal

Tractor
JD 3520 Cab w/FEL
Hello everyone.
I recently installed strobes in place of my cab flashers. To install, having the cab top off is a must. I ran my control wires from the right side console up the back pillar post behind the rubber flap where the existing loom is ran to the cab top. The controller box is mounted up on top on the air conditioner control side since there is more room over there. This doesn't take much since there are only three wires that have to be ran (power and control for selecting strobe modes). Next I tapped into a hot wire I found under the side console and also a ground. I wasn't worried about amperage since these draw very little voltage at the power source and the entire thing is fused for protection. I left the controller switch hanging out one of my "blanks" until I get the factory style switch installed, which I will use to power it on. Next I had to install the strobes inside each plastic lenses. I thought I was going to have to drill them ( 1 inch holes) but I got lucky and they were the same size as the bulb socket and they seal up nicely. I ran all the wires neatly along side of the factory looms and drilled my own holes with rubber grommets behind each light assembly into the black part of the cab top (just like the factory did for the other wires). Then I ran the headlight strobe wires down the right side roll tube/window frame, then up under the hood right along side of the headlight wire loom for the headlight flashers. I did have to drill holes in the top of the headlight lenses otherwise I would have lost my normal headlight function. With the flashers I didn't care if I had the normal flasher function or turn signal function, so I didn't mind removing those bulbs. Keep in mind it is fully reversible, as I didn't cut any factory plugs. Also, since the strobe kit has six or so different functions, I can select different patterns like simultaneous, alternating fast, slow, random, no headlight flash, and just rear only flash. Here is a short video of the finished product on alternating all flash. YouTube - John Deere 3520 Cab Strobe Project

I only ran into one problem though. I keep getting error code 65 and 67 which are "left and right amber lights off" code. I did remove the orange wire from the headlight rotary switch that controls the flashers, but that didn't keep the code from popping up when I start it. I can cancel the code and it doesn't come back until I turn it off then on again, but I would like to get rid of it for good. Is there a "feedback wire" on the flasher plug that needs to be grounded or something?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Chad

/ 3520 cab model strobe installation and error code 65 & 67 #2  
i think you will have to hook bulbs up in place of the flashers you removed and unplugged. maybe us a resistor or something in place?

/ 3520 cab model strobe installation and error code 65 & 67 #3  
This is the same problem that a lot of people switching to LED's have. There is not any (or enough) load on the circuit to keep the computer happy so it thinks the bulbs have blown. In cars/trucks/motorcycles the problem can also be the flash rate is way to fast or not at all in turn signals.

Like Hanson wrote, you will either have to put the bulbs back in or add a resistor to fool the computer.

They sure look cool though:thumbsup:

/ 3520 cab model strobe installation and error code 65 & 67 #4  
Impressive!!! :thumbsup: I'd like to do some sort of lighting at some point.

/ 3520 cab model strobe installation and error code 65 & 67 #5  
This is the same problem that a lot of people switching to LED's have. There is not any (or enough) load on the circuit to keep the computer happy so it thinks the bulbs have blown. In cars/trucks/motorcycles the problem can also be the flash rate is way to fast or not at all in turn signals.

Like Hanson wrote, you will either have to put the bulbs back in or add a resistor to fool the computer.

They sure look cool though:thumbsup:

I think they are strobes. ;)

/ 3520 cab model strobe installation and error code 65 & 67
Thanks. I will have to do some further research to figure out what the resistance is of these bulbs. I'm sure if this is the case, the computer probably sends a small micro-voltage to them to make sure there is continuity, or no burned out or unplugged bulb. I will be posting my headlight mod here soon as well. I hated the factory headlights and their lack of brightness. Also, I did re-do the sealing job that Deere does on these cab tops. It made a HUGE difference in squeaks and the amount of air/heat it blows out now. I noticed how the unit was sucking dust from the sides of the cab and bypassing the filter a little. Oh, and while I had it off, I modified my window washer nozzle as well, which I will be posting soon. Thanks again everyone. If anyone has other thoughts on the resistance of these bulbs or maybe a way to tap into them in the cab next to the fuse box that would be good to try as well.

/ 3520 cab model strobe installation and error code 65 & 67 #9  
Thanks. I will have to do some further research to figure out what the resistance is of these bulbs. I'm sure if this is the case, the computer probably sends a small micro-voltage to them to make sure there is continuity, or no burned out or unplugged bulb. I will be posting my headlight mod here soon as well. I hated the factory headlights and their lack of brightness. Also, I did re-do the sealing job that Deere does on these cab tops. It made a HUGE difference in squeaks and the amount of air/heat it blows out now. I noticed how the unit was sucking dust from the sides of the cab and bypassing the filter a little. Oh, and while I had it off, I modified my window washer nozzle as well, which I will be posting soon. Thanks again everyone. If anyone has other thoughts on the resistance of these bulbs or maybe a way to tap into them in the cab next to the fuse box that would be good to try as well.

Those flasher bulbs are 26 watts each. That equals about seven ohms. Problem here is if the computer needs anywhere near the correct current to decide the bulb is good, that is a lot of power to dissipate. Not something you can just put anywhere. Even if it just needs half that to operate correctly it is still a lot. You will need to determine how little current you can get by with, but if the circuit monitor is doing what it is supposed to do I think it will be too much for you to easily deal with.

/ 3520 cab model strobe installation and error code 65 & 67
I just put an ohm meter on the bulbs from the flashers and it ohms out at at around 9 ohms. I did not cut the factory plugs off and I can attach the bulb plugs back on with the bulbs attached. I just don't know where I would put them since I used the original bulb hole for the strobes. I can attach resistors to the plug ends and tape them up, but I'm not sure that will work for what the computer is looking for. I'm sure it sends a small current to test for the bulb or plug failure but I don't know that for sure. Here is the link to a couple other mods I did, but I will also post them on a different thread.

Headlight & Work Light Modification
YouTube - Deere 3520 cab headlight and work light mod

Window Washer Modification

YouTube - Deere 3520 Cab Washer Mod