360* Rotating Back Blade Project

/ 360* Rotating Back Blade Project
tlbuser said:
What a cool positioning jig you've got there. Funny, I don't remember seeing one of those in Rob's assortment of stuff.:)

Another really nice tractor gadget add-on.

Thanks TlBuser,

Contrary to popular belief, I actually have some engineering and machining skills to make a few things for myself. I'm not a total charitable cause. Although Rob might think differently.

Oh, I just realized you might be referring to the lollipop holding up the pin wedge? :eek: See how slow I am? Just so you know, I got that while pan handling to pay off Rob.

Larry

sandman2234 said:
Is there a chance that cutting the pin and replacing the extended section with a piece of non magnetic stainless would allow it to work? Or instead of using the pin to drop in the hole, use a fulcrum like a see-saw that kids play on and have it drop the pin in the hole. The cross bar could be non magnetic, and would keep it separate from the blade positioning holes.
David from jax

David,

Yes thats a good idea and would have worked. I decided to scrap the solenoid idea and go with a lifting wedge (Cam) driven by a linear actuator due to simplicity and reliability, but more importantly there was very limited space for everything to fit. I was pretty disgusted when the solenoid plan failed, I figured in my "cost / benefit analysis" ;) I would spend more time and money finding "exotic" non ferrous materials to work with plus figuring out how it was all going to fit, so I went with the actuator.

Larry

Renze said:
Multi angle grader, i suppose they call it a 6 way blade ? it would do the same as yours (only not 360ー because i dont need it) hydraulic side tilt (to crown a road or cut a ditch) and maybe also blade tilt, to change the angle of the blade with which it peels off the dirt.. but i'm not sure if i'd need this, so thats why i want to see a video ! ;)

You got it Renze,

I'll get a video of it cutting virgin dirt. Based on your comments, I believe you might be interested in seeing it offset from center, angled & tilted to cut a ditch?

Larry

/ 360* Rotating Back Blade Project #204  
GuglioLS said:
I believe you might be interested in seeing it offset from center, angled & tilted to cut a ditch?

Exactly !! i am very curious how the dirt flows...

Renze and all interested -

As promised, today I hooked up the 360* rotating back-blade, set some tilt, offset & angled to cut a ditch.
Here is a rear view of what that looks like:

Notice the offset puts the blade out further than the right rear wheel. This is handy for cutting or cleaning ditches.

Here is the video of it scraping hard packed, bone dry, New Mexico USA dirt, the kind of stuff adobe bricks are made of. The added weight from the 250# gearbox really makes the blade dig in as deep as I will allow it to go the TPH depth control:

Hopefully this should end any doubt that the blade with all all it's components and modifications has withstood real field testing. I will be using the heck out of it to maintain all the roads on my property and this winter to plow snow. I can't wait to plow some really deep snow with it.

Larry

/ 360* Rotating Back Blade Project #206  
What a great video Larry. I'll bet Renze is just creamin' his jeans over that. That thing cuts just as good as your dozer! (Can I have the dozer now?)
LOL ...

3RRL said:
What a great video Larry. I'll bet Renze is just creamin' his jeans over that. That thing cuts just as good as your dozer! (Can I have the dozer now?)
LOL ...

HaHaHa,

Can you have my dozer?, well I don't know about that, let me think for a second............ no, you can not have my dozer, better luck next time ;).

Even my wife Esther says I can and should keep the Dozer, what more could a guy ask for?

Larry

/ 360* Rotating Back Blade Project #208  
Fantastic project!! Quite impressive!

The video says it all. Cutting like razorblade in soft butter! ;)

very nice.

/ 360* Rotating Back Blade Project #209  
Larry,

Great video. It's sure fun to see that dirt move!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

/ 360* Rotating Back Blade Project #210  
Larry, i asked about the ditch cutting because i was thinking ditch, like a V- shaped ditch with 45ー sides... I really wondered if the blade could bring the dirt up that steep when you said ditch, but it seems to me like its more of a rain gutter along a road, than a sharp edged drainage ditch..

anyways, the dirt rolls nicely along the blade... From this video i conclude that my moldboard needs to be higher, right now its about a foot high. Anyways, i want to add a hardened cutting edge of a half foot high, which will make it about 15" high. the moldboard i made on the brake press, is about 3 meter wide.