3720 draft link breakage

/ 3720 draft link breakage #1  

Deerescaper

Tractor
3720 John Deere
Anyone else out here had problems with the 3 point draft arms breaking. I broke one with 400 hours on tractor last summer and now the other side broke this spring with 650 hours on the tach. They break in the hole where the adjustable arms that run vertical pin through. Took the replacement off that broke last year and it is also cracking from the edge of the pin hole. John Deere has a new part number for the arm and is calling it improved. They warranteed the one last year but told me I'm 10 days over warranty period for this one. The breaks are not from misuse as both arms had rusted areas from stress cracking along time before they finally snapped. The new and improved arm has the pin hole chamfered on both sides so that is supposed to reduce the stress cracking that starts from the sharp edges of the mounting hole. It would seem John Deere has recognized there is a problem or why would they updated their arms. Last years arm was $170 new version is $200. Little expensive to keep replacing hitch arms every few hundred hours don't you think? Don't know why they don't have a recall on these arms if its a problem. I feel I should have 2 new updated arms on warranty or %&@# will hit the fan. Anyone else had this problem?

/ 3720 draft link breakage #2  
Thanks for the heads up, I will check mine.

/ 3720 draft link breakage #3  
How old is your 3720? I assume when you mean adjustable arm, you are referring to the telescopic lower lift arms or just the antisway bar attaches to the lower lift arm? Most CUT owners don't use their tractors very hard. If JD has a replacement, then it is a more common problem then what we know.
You probably have a valid argument with JD with a known problem and just a few days out of warranty. Have your dealer contact JD or area rep. The likelyhood of a recall from JD is near nonexistent since it is not a safety issue and for most owners, not a common problem. This is the first I have heard of of that issue.

/ 3720 draft link breakage #4  
Were you using a box blade when they broke?

/ 3720 draft link breakage
My tractor is a 2006 model and I run a landscaping business. The breakage has occurred when using my tr3 rake. It is not a light implement I will admit. Probably 1100+ lbs. The breakage is not in the sway bars but the draft hitch arms that attach to your implements. It would seem a better option to change the design to where there would be no hole through the center of the arm that surely weakens the metal and go with an attaching point above the draft arm. Looking at the bigger JD tractors that is how they attach with a casting drilled out on top of the draft arms. My son who works for Caterpillar made me aware of the metal fatigue caused by sharp holes rather than a chamfered hole.Sure enough the 2008 arms have the hole beveled. Maybe not a direct safety issue today but what happens in time if these links all stress crack out. Could and does break without any warning.

/ 3720 draft link breakage
Yes Jerry the tr3 is a boxblade.scarifier,landscape rake combination tool.