Backhoe 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal

/ 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal #11  
A concern is are the hoses long enough to allow it to set on a block and how much of a distance and angle of the dipper stick be required as space is limited where I park this? I'll find out shortly.

I wouldn't fret over using the stabilizers and not the 3pt, you'll hear from those who are more experienced that it's just easier, maybe even safer.

You want to plop it down on as level an area as possible I have a plank aprx 2x12x36 under the back hoe, and yes the hoses are plenty long enough, no real difference there as it drops the same distance no mater by what means.
As far as the boom goes, you want to put the lock pin in to prevent any movement, dipper should be brought in tight also, the bucket can be let down so the flattest part is parallel to the ground. I put blocks of wood in the bucket linkage to prevent it from folding up and getting the BH out of position.

Also if space is tight and you store other things next to BH then you want to tie the stabilizers together to prevent them from dropping down over time, possibly damaging something.

/ 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal #12  
JB4310 says it right.

Look for one of my latest posts for an explanation on adjusting the 3 pt hitch height.

/ 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal #13  
Hi Glenn:

Did you buy your rig from LPE?

Matt

Hi Matt,
yes I did. Rodger was the saleman when I bought a 2520 in July 07, only kept it 4 months as it broke and LPe couldn't fix it fast enough (hyd problem). So, I upgrade to 3320 with Rodger in Dec 08. Its a lot more tractor. They did fix the 2520 and it sat on lot for a while, Rodger was let go. Don't know why, but I've only had my 3320 serviced once in Craig in
Feb 08 when it wouldn't move with error 12 :mad:(bad sensor in FWD).

I live by Carter Lake at 6,200' on 46 acres with a .3 mile gravel drive way. All uphill. I've used both tractors at sons place on east side of Rabbit Ears pass at 8,500'. I've got 720 hours on it now.:)

/ 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal #14  
Hi Matt,
yes I did. Rodger was the saleman when I bought a 2520 in July 07, only kept it 4 months as it broke and LPe couldn't fix it fast enough (hyd problem). So, I upgrade to 3320 with Rodger in Dec 08. Its a lot more tractor. They did fix the 2520 and it sat on lot for a while, Rodger was let go. Don't know why, but I've only had my 3320 serviced once in Craig in
Feb 08 when it wouldn't move with error 12 :mad:(bad sensor in FWD).

I live by Carter Lake at 6,200' on 46 acres with a .3 mile gravel drive way. All uphill. I've used both tractors at sons place on east side of Rabbit Ears pass at 8,500'. I've got 720 hours on it now.:)

So Roger N. is gone too. I bought mine from Chris B. and he left sometime late last year or early this year to sell hay equipment. The LPE guy told me that Chris left because he was tired of dealing with PO'd customers waiting for Indian made Deere's to arrive in a timely manner. Whether that's true or not I don't know; but the new crop of salesmen seem to be sleazier.

Thanks for the reply Glenn, and now we return you to our regularly scheduled thread. :rolleyes:

/ 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal #15  
If everything is adjusted properly, the rockshaft
assist for removal and install of the backhoe is pretty
slick. I have seen machines leave adjusted perfectly,
only to have something change over time and when the
customer went to remove the backhoe it wouldn't lift off
the pins. Can't explain why, but it did change.

/ 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal
Thanks - this forum is always a wealth of info.

I don't like open ended threads so I'm going to close it and and say I finally had the time to remove the BH today. The stabilizers were used to remove it and it worked out fine. My concern about hydraulic hose length turned out to be a nothing. Another concern was how stable the BH and bucket would be w/o stabilizers and standing on its own. Ans: Very stable on level concrete.

These things all come down to doing it the first time, as it is much more intimidating than the second time.

The 3 pt that was formerly dead in the water now works perfectly too but I'm going to readjust the linkage (that my dealer didn't do) as suggested by Cocre.

/ 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal #17  
Good news, I had a similar issue with my 3320 the first time I tried to drop the hoe, I actually started to panic. Now it is nothing.

/ 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal #18  
Hi Cocre:
I have been reading you and Yourkie's problem with removing the 447 BH. I also had this same problem and have found that the movable latch plates are not designed right or the drilled and tapped holes used to hold them tight to the BH frame were put in the wrong position. The problem is that here is not enough adjustment in the slotted holes of the movable latch plates to get the lift from the rockshaft arms in order to free the L-pins for removal. I experimented with a piece of 3/16 inch thick angle iron fitted between the pin in the rockshaft arm and the movable latch plates and have found that it will now lift high enough to remove the L-pins as it states in the instruction manual supplied with the 447 BH. I also thought at first I had a problem with the lift of the rockshaft arms but after talking with a service technician he pointed to the trouble with the movable latch plates.There is definitely a design problem with the movable latch plates or as I stated above the drilled and tapped holes were placed in the wrong position. Either way John Deere should make new movable latch plates to correct the problem.

Last edited:
   / 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal #19  
Welcome to TractorByNet, Duble. I still mostly use the hoe stabilizer legs to take the hoe off or put the hoe on the tractor. I think you may be right on the hole location thing. When I use the rockshaft to lift the hoe, by the time the it is high enough to put the pins in, it is too far forward to put the pins in. I can adjust till I am blue in the face, have it where it works OK, then a few times on and off and it will be out again. So I just use the stabilizers.

/ 3720 rockshaft malfunction backhoe removal #20  
that set up with the hitch lifting the bh to just the right postion almost never works right . at the dealer the guys just use the bh hyd to rr the backhoes and try to get customers to do the same. It is handy to grab the bh and bring it into the shop to install out of the cold or rain ect.