3720 with a 6' Medium Duty Rotary Cutter (1150#)

/ 3720 with a 6' Medium Duty Rotary Cutter (1150#) #1  

dkhntr04

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 3720 Cab
I am considering purchasing a used Woods BB720 that weighs in at around 1150 pounds per Woods specs. Who is running a cutter similar to this weight and how does it affect the tractor? I run a light duty 5' cutter now, and have run a 7' light duty as well. both weigh far lass than the BB720. The tractor has cab, wheels spaced to 68", filled rears, and a loader which will be on when mowing. A 500# skid steer bucket can be attached for additional weight. I will need to do a small amount of mowing on side slopes 3-4 times per year. Thanks.

/ 3720 with a 6' Medium Duty Rotary Cutter (1150#) #2  
I run a 3320 and a mx6 (1050 lbs), also have a 300cx loader w/61" bucket. The mower is rated for 30hp, a 3320 has 34hp, as long as I keep my forward speed low and consistent, no problems. As for weight in the front, never have, probably never will. Both my salesman and service manager say I don't need it. I had a welder knock the inserts out of the rear wheels and re-weld them at the edge of the rim. It gave me a 62" spacing, but I wish I could find spacers, I'd like to get another 4-6" per side. I do a couple of side slopes too, they're only 10' wide or so, so I just back up on it, or go straight down. Tipping over is not a fun ride, and once it starts, you can't ask to get off.

/ 3720 with a 6' Medium Duty Rotary Cutter (1150#) #3  
I run a 3320 and a mx6 (1050 lbs)... The mower is rated for 30hp, a 3320 has 34hp
The mower wants 30 PTO horsepower, not 30 engine horsepower. Regarding spacers, which wheels/tires do you have on that 3320?

//greg//

/ 3720 with a 6' Medium Duty Rotary Cutter (1150#) #4  
Yes, very correct on PTO vs engine hp. I forgot myself, but my unit is still maxed out. I couldn't justify getting a 5' mower, as it would take longer. Most of my jobs are around 5-10 acres and I'm usually called in to mow when the grass is 2-3' tall (around here we mow twice a year, mostly it's cost effective for the landowner, not effective for my fuel and wear/tear though), since my low PTO hp dictates how fast I can go through tall grass, I can only go about 1 to 1.2 mph without killing the machine and still get a good quality cut.

As for my rim/tire size, it's: rear: 43x16.00-20, 8 lug and 6" center. front: 27x8.50-15, 6 lug and 4.75" center. I'm having major stability issues, 3:1 slopes are very iffy.

/ 3720 with a 6' Medium Duty Rotary Cutter (1150#) #5  
I have a Bush Hog 296 which is comparable to the Woods model you are considering . In fact I almost bought the Woods BB720 as I was impressed with specs . I love the Bush Hog 296 which weighs 1135# I believe. I pull it with a JD 5065e, MFWD. The people at Bush Hog told me their unit is best with 45 PTO HP and my 5065e has 53 PTO HP. My tractor has filled rears and weighs 5005 lb without the ballast in rears or loader. I also have a 553 loader which I keep attached. My combination is a great match. The engine has plenty of power engaging at much less than operating RPM (2400). It doesn't even lug at engaging at 1500 RPM. Sounds like your tractor may be heavy enough but I would be interested to hear how it cuts tall grass. I think you will love the heavier duty cutter. They are just beefier all around. Just hope the power is adequate to handle the load. Maybe Bush Hog is more conservative is their specs to minimize a customer having a poor experience and possibly blaming the cutter? I know my combination exceeded my expectations. I can't explain why Woods says 30 PTO HP is ok and Bush Hog wants 45? The 2 cutters are very comparable. Woods makes good equipment. I have one if their disc harrows and love it . Good luck and let us know how it works out.