383 4wd steering cylinder

/ 383 4wd steering cylinder #1  

JamesHolmes

Tractor
1997 MF383 4wd
Need help removing 383 4wd steering cylinder.

/ 383 4wd steering cylinder #2  
I probably can't do much from here, but what sort of help are you hoping for?

Is it a double shaft style cylinder with a ball joint on each side or just a single cylinder on one side. Parts book shows both types.

/ 383 4wd steering cylinder #3  
If you're talking about the center mount cylinder and want to reseal, just unscrew the tierods, remove the gland locking wires and remove the glands, extract the rod/piston and reseal.

Attachments

• 383 Axle.jpg
    383 Axle.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 383 Cylinder.jpg
    383 Cylinder.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 21
   / 383 4wd steering cylinder
I probably can't do much from here, but what sort of help are you hoping for?

Is it a double shaft style cylinder with a ball joint on each side or just a single cylinder on one side. Parts book shows both types.
It’s a double shaft cylinder. It looks as though there are four large Allen bolts holding it to the axle. I have 2 repair manuals and neither of them show the setup I have.

/ 383 4wd steering cylinder
If you're talking about the center mount cylinder and want to reseal, just unscrew the tierods, remove the gland locking wires and remove the glands, extract the rod/piston and reseal.
This looks like the setup on my tractor. I was going to remove the cylinder from the machine and hone & repack. Are you saying that it’s better done leaving on the axle?

/ 383 4wd steering cylinder #6  
You can go about it any way you choose, but I think most people would do it with the cylinder on the machine. I do at least. I think in most cases it's less work to do it that way than to try and remove the whole cylinder. Sometimes if it doesn't come apart easily I will jack it up and take off a tire to gain more access.

/ 383 4wd steering cylinder #7  
Ditto to what Harry said. Many times the Allen bolts do not come easy. The only reason I would remove is the inability to get to the cylinder easily. Honing should not be necessary.