3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design

/ 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I was going to 3d print a die holder for the garage but am sort of stumped on how to get holes in a plate that are even. What I am trying to do is make a flat piece of plastic where they sit.

I designed it so it holds 16 total dies, 4 across, 4 down. I can get the first hole (44mm wide at the top, with a 2mm counter sunk edge making the hole 42mm wide by 9mm deep) in the base plate which is 208mmx208mmx14mm thick. My problem is getting the next 15 placed so they are nice and even. I have tried "Aline", tried patterns, and even single holes and cant get it to work right. I even went to TinkerCad and played around and could get it lined up better but the holes are not really perfect circles for some reason so I figure I am far better off in Fusion 360.

Can anyone give me some pointers or explain (like you are talking to a 6-year-old, that is trying to learn Fusion 360) how to do this? I have watched a few videos but nothing seems to work like it is being explained. Sometimes I don't even have the same screen prompts/options that they are mentioning.

I have a STL file, and an F3D file but I cant seem to post them here.

Also if I ever get this correct - anyone that wants the file is welcome to it. It will hold punches for a CH-70 hydraulic punch press.
Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 6.16.13 PM.jpg

Here are the punch(s) I want a tray for and here is basically what my design looks like
Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 6.12.38 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 6.13.02 PM.jpg

/ 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design #2  
In both Solidworks and FreeCAD, there is a repeat at intervals function. You select your "feature" which is your extruded cut (hole) off of your top face, then apply the tool which will allow you to specify how many repetitions, which and how many directions, distance between repetitions, etc. I have not used Fusion360 but all of the parametric 3D CAD programs have the same basic toolbox and this is a common tool.
If you don't want to use the repeated feature tool, you can create a sketch on the top face, then place and dimension x and y lines "for construction", then use the intersections of those lines for the centers of your holes. More time consuming but maybe more intuitive

/ 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design
Thanks - I think I may have figured it out.

Some of this stuff is not intuitive to me.

/ 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design #4  
I'm not sure that the words "CAD" and "intuitive" go together very often...except as "not intuitive".

You may also need to account for shrinkage in the piece, the same as any large print.

Did you look around for plans? I've seen them for a number of tool and collet holders.

All the best,

Peter

/ 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design #5  
Looks like you may have figured this out.

Similar to the comment above, I use construction lines and make a grid with the proper spacing then use the circle tool to make the holes at the grid intersections.

If you did figure this out, post up so the next person may benefit.

/ 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design #6  
I'm not sure that the words "CAD" and "intuitive" go together very often...except as "not intuitive".
No doubt about that. I have several versions of BobCad but the version I like best is version 17. It must be at least 20 years old. For 2D drawing it is fast and intuitive. Super easy to do repetitive stuff. Not the best for engraving though.
Eric

/ 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design #7  
You might want to go on Langmuir's website and post your questions in as much as they bundle Fusion 360 with their CNC plasma tables.

/ 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design #8  
Uh, you guys might not appreciate this comment but how about a scrap piece of 2X10, a square, a forstner bit, and a little paint?

Last edited:
   / 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design
Uh, you guys might not appreciate this comment but how about a scrap piece of 2X10, a square, a forstner bit, and a little paint?
Anyone can do that - why not spend countless hours making a part you really dont even need out of plastic on an expensive printer?? LOL

I did get it to work out by using the pattern tool and laying out a 4x4 grid based on the existing hole I cut to the correct size. I posted it on Makersworld so the next person looking for a punch/die holder can just download the thing and use it.

/ 3D printing software (Fusion 360) help in a design #10  
pattern should get you there, just offset what you need and use the second as the pattern and it should line up