3ph post pounder

/ 3ph post pounder #1  

pickeringchris

Gold Member
Anyone heard of a commercially made or home made "T post" pounder? I have seen the big post pounders online. I was thinking something small.

Cheers

/ 3ph post pounder #2  
If you know someone that has a Shaver brand, thye make steel post holders, so as to drive them with one. Steel Post Holder for PD8 Each

Or, they make pneumatic ones, like Northern Hydraulics sells.http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200398563_200398563?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Farm%20%2B%20Acreage-_-Fences%20%2B%20Gates-_-511001&ci_sku=511001&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Takes 2 CFM @ 80-100 psi.

/ 3ph post pounder #3  
If you have a front loader and a helper you can just use the bucket to push the t-post in if you have any amount.

/ 3ph post pounder #4  
Not 3pt but I have a hand held pneumatic t-post pounder. It works well. I just toss the small generator and compressor in the back of the RTV.

/ 3ph post pounder #5  
If you have a front loader and a helper you can just use the bucket to push the t-post in if you have any amount.

Yep, I've pushed many a t-post in with the fel bucket and a helper. Fast and easy.

/ 3ph post pounder #6  
One of the cheapest and quickest ways is to use an electric jackhammer powered by a generator........no fuss or strain (apart from lifting it to top of T post) just push the trigger and the weight of the hammer will drive the stake in.

The special cup to fit the hammer are not expensive. I prefer just the round cup to the ones with a T shape in them..............then you can also use them to drive steel poles etc.

/ 3ph post pounder #7  
Yep, I've pushed many a t-post in with the fel bucket and a helper. Fast and easy.

Then you are blessed with good ground :thumbsup: I've done it a few times when the ground is very soft and I'm lucky enough to miss any rocks. Other times, our ground is closer to concrete.

Ken

/ 3ph post pounder
Some really smart ideas here. I have seen the attachment for the jackhammer. Pretty hard to lift the jackhammer on top a 7' post. :)
My ground is soft with no rocks. I'm gonna try the loader and brave helper first. I only have 50 posts to do. Still, 50 is a lot for work with one of those 30lb pipe type pounders.

/ 3ph post pounder #9  
pickeringchris said:
Some really smart ideas here. I have seen the attachment for the jackhammer. Pretty hard to lift the jackhammer on top a 7' post. :)
My ground is soft with no rocks. I'm gonna try the loader and brave helper first. I only have 50 posts to do. Still, 50 is a lot for work with one of those 30lb pipe type pounders.

Just take it slow and unless someone does something really stupid its very hard to get hurt in this process.

/ 3ph post pounder #10  
As a suggestion, check out the SDS hammer drills and 1" bit you can get at Harbor Freight for about $69. It is one of their tools that works really well. You can pre drill a 1" hole in the ground to make tapping in the T post by hand much easier. I will say a 1" hole is too small if drilling in rock or extreemly hard ground and you need the longest 1" bit HF has, about 14" long. For driving T posts into rock, you would need an SDS Max and 1.75" drill bit - a much more expensive setup. However, you might try renting one from a rental company. The SDS Max and a 3' - 1.75" bit is what we use in our solid limestone ground here in central Texas.
If you want to use the electric jack hammer with a cup, it works well, stand on the trucks tail gate and hook the jack hammer to a receiver hitch deer hoist. Now you can tilt the T post into the cup and stand it up and jack hammer it right on in.