3PH Wood Splitter

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #21  
hayden said:
I highly recommend the Split-fire 3PH splitter. See Split-Fire Sales Inc. :: Welcome :: Quality Built. High Performance. Split-Fire - Your Best Choice

Unlike any other splitter I've seen, the splitting wedge is bi-directional. You can split running the cylinder in one direction, then instead of waiting for the cylinder to retract before splitting again, you can place wood on the back side and split again on the reverse stroke.

For a 3PH splitter, this makes a big difference in productivity since the hydraulic flow from a tractor is typically a lot less than a dedicated splitter with a two stage pump. I've got the SS-234 model and am quite happy with it. As best I can remember, it cost about $1000.

Afternoon Hayden,
Very nice unit !!! Did they ship directly to your home ?

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #22  
dmccarty said:
For you guys with the TSC splitter Does pulling the lever towards the splitting wedge make the cylinder go out(left) or close(right)?

I can't recall which way mine goes but I do know that the direction that latches (i.e. will continue in that direction without you holding it) should be retracting. If that is the case then you have it right.

I have the Speeco under a different name and like it alot. Plan to use it this weekend, if I get past my wife's honey do list that is...

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #23  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon Hayden,
Very nice unit !!! Did they ship directly to your home ?

They shipped it to my office where there's a loading dock. From my experience, that's typical for anything shipped by truck.

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #24  
dmccarty said:
For you guys with the TSC splitter Does pulling the lever towards the splitting wedge make the cylinder go out(left) or close(right)?
Depends whether you have your hoses routed correctly, and which direction you've opened your remote valve. When all is correct, holding the splitter lever to the left will extend the wedge (to the left). Obviously, lever to the right returns the wedge to it's home position. For safety reasons, you must constantly hold the lever while splitting, but there's a detent that holds it for a hands-free return. The lever then returns to the center position by itself as soon as the wedge hits home.

//greg//

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #25  
I thought about buying the 3 point splitter, but ended up buying the harbor freight 30 ton as per my other thread/review. Nice to leave it by the woodpile, and only $200 more than the three point at around 1000

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #26  
hayden said:
They shipped it to my office where there's a loading dock. From my experience, that's typical for anything shipped by truck.

Or you can have the truck line hold it at their dock and you go by with your truck and they'll load it. You can save some freight this way but you'll have to figure out how you're going to unload it from your truck.

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #27  
cp1969 said:
Or you can have the truck line hold it at their dock and you go by with your truck and they'll load it. You can save some freight this way but you'll have to figure out how you're going to unload it from your truck.

Yes, that works too.

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #28  
I've been considering getting a log splitter recently. I can borrow my neighbor's older gas engine unit any time but I want but wouldn't mind having my own. A 3PH splitter seems to be a much more cost effective way to go.

I'm new to this tractor thing and have a question about the need to add hoses to run the 3PH log splitter. If I have a rear hose on my L5030 to run my backhoe will I still need to buy/fit new a new hydraulic hose for the log splitter?

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #29  
RobA said:
If I have a rear hose on my L5030 to run my backhoe will I still need to buy/fit new a new hydraulic hose for the log splitter?

That depends on the connections. My 3ph log splitter has 3/4" connections for the in/out hoses. You will need to connect from your tractor's rear remotes to the splitter. You may be able to use the same hoses or you may have to purchase new ones depending on the connections. You can also potentially just alter the fittings. You will probably want to put in quick disconnects if you don't have them already.

Length might also be an issue. I use 30" hoses for my splitter but I could probably get away with shorter.

Mike

/ 3PH Wood Splitter #30  
Hey All,
I know this has been discussed out the wazoo, but I'm still shopping so...

I'm also looking at the TS vertical splitter and the Northstar.

Isn't it a little awkward as on the TS, to have the splitter mounted sideways? Seems like it would be better, especially if on a hill or awkward angle to be able to back the splitter straight into where you want it and raise or lower the hitch to fit the angle.

Do those of you who have used either one have an opinion about the sideways mounting? I like the Northstar better by design , but I can buy the TS locally.

Any other brands I should look for?

Oh, and I'm buying a 3-point splitter instead of a stand alone for price, and the fact I can split the cost with my two neighbors who want to share using it on their tractors...

Thanks,
Randy