3pt hitch = safety feature / revisited

/ 3pt hitch = safety feature / revisited
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Post it if you find it. That would be a cool picture )</font>

I may email it to you, ather than post it.. I'm unsure of the copyright issues, as it is most likely in an issue of N-Newsletter.

Soundguy

/ 3pt hitch = safety feature / revisited #12  
I was dragging a pallet of bricks with my L175 about six years ago when the edge of the pallet got caught on a stone in the ground. The chain was hooked to a drawbar on the 3pt hitch. It took about half a heartbeat between when the pallet hit the rock and the front of the tractor was pointing straight up into the air.

When I say straight up...I mean STRAIGHT UP! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I pushed in the clutch as quickly as possible or I am sure the tractor would have gone right over backwards with no ROPS. I was literally balanced on the rear wheels. I reached behind me and pushed off the ground with my hand to get the front end to come back to the ground.

That is when I investigated getting a ROPS and seatbelt for the tractor. Instead I just bought a new tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Afterall, it will be much safer when the kids start to mow the lawn /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif...that was the line I used on my wife.

Be Safe,
Kevin

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( was hooked to a drawbar on the 3pt hitch )</font>

A 3pt drawbar isn't a good place to pull from unless you have it 'stayed', as you found out.. when you pull ont he drawbar.. it rises.. once it rises even with the axles.. your tractor becomes a teeter totter.

Soundguy

/ 3pt hitch = safety feature / revisited #15  
Sorry 3RRL, at the time I just didn't think to go grab a camera /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy, yeah it is a really bad idea and I thought I was being really careful but it happens so fast! I just don't do that anymore. Always use the drawbar mounted below the axle!

Nobody was home at the time and I never did tell my wife happened. I just mentioned at a later date that I almost rolled the tractor one day....and left it at that.

Kevin

/ 3pt hitch = safety feature / revisited #16  
I've always heard that when the top link of a (Ferguson) compresses the spring all the way it kicks the tractor out of gear to prevent rotation. Do I have that wrong? Also, one of the good things about the 3 pt. on the Ferguson is the lower links pivot actually below and forward of the axle centerline so towing moment tends not to cause rearing. Anyway, anyone know about the gear-disengaging? Just curious.
Jim

/ 3pt hitch = safety feature / revisited #17  
Over the years, I've been around a few dozen old "fergies", and never saw any evidence of something that'd kick it outta gear. Top link compression spring is all about the draft control I do believe.

/ 3pt hitch = safety feature / revisited #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Top link compression spring is all about the draft control I do believe. )</font>

That's the way I understand it. Instantaneous draft loads actually exert downpressure on the front of the tractor due to 3PH geometry. The tractor just squats and the wheels spin. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 3pt hitch = safety feature / revisited #19  
jimmysisson,

My Ferguson has the spring, but there is no connection to the transmission which would kick it out of gear.

Ditto.. the fergy 3pt lift just adjusts hyds for draft.. has nothing to do with tranny..

Soundguy