3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger #1  

dear.chap

Tractor
Toro
So I dont have a tractor right now but one may be in the near future. At this time I am looking at some used Groundhog HD99 towable post diggers and Stihl BT131 one man post digger. Anyone have any advice on one or the other. Most of my jobs will not be too intense with just a couple of poles occassionally.

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger #2  
What is your soil type, do you have many roots or rocks in soil.
i have used hand tool or 3 pt pole hole digger

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger
Rocky soil. Lots of small stones in soil.

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger #4  
;How many holes are you digging? I have a HF gas powered 1 man auger and have done probably 30 holes with it over the years. I have the 18" extension for it, and both 6" and 8" auger. It has done well for me.

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger
Maybe around 8 holes for a pole barn and a bunch for new plants/trees.

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger #6  
For only a couple holes once in a while, I would do them by hand or a one man auger. With gravel, it will be a job with an auger though. Hooking up a 3pt auger can also be a chore if you are alone and don't have a hanger or stand to hold it in position.

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger #7  
I had a nice powered auger, but sold it because I thought I was going to get hurt because of all the rocks in our soil. Even with a PHD on the tractor, I have sheared multiple bolts digging post holes.

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger #8  
Or rent one?

I needed to put in about 60 holes for a fence. I had planned to rent a PHD for a day or two to get the work done. Then I stumbled across a Rankin PHD on Craigslist for 375 dollars. I figured that was pretty close to what I would spend renting one so I picked it up. It is not pretty, but it has been very useful.

20230331_153921.jpg

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger #9  
Depending upon your soil and the amount of rocks what will work will vary. If you can rent or hire someone to do a couple of holes using the same type of equipment you plan to buy you can see how well it will work. Myself in my ground I will not even consider any 3 point or hand held auger type. The only practical style would be a powered auger on the loader or backhoe with a rock bit.

/ 3pt post hole digger vs one man auger vs Groundhog Digger #10  
One of my friends not far from here couldn't even set T posts without first drilling a hole with a rock drill.