3pt Rear Snow blower

/ 3pt Rear Snow blower
Wow, look at the difference in weight in those 2 machines.
Woodmaxx 755 lbs
MK Martin 540 lbs.

There is a big difference in the cutting edge also.

The price for the Woodmaxx would be. W/USA PTO.....$2700.00
MK Martin.......$3250.00

/ 3pt Rear Snow blower #32  

So Dave M7040,
Is your rear pull snowblower only good for 4-6 inch storms?

I have hiking trails running through my farm and my brothers farms so we can walk our dogs and get exercise at the same time.

In the summer, I cut the trails with a 72" 3 pt finishing mower and in the winter clear them with the inverted blower. I make double wide passes with either the blower or mower so the trail is wide enough to walk and talk.

Although I now have 4WD, for decades I had a 2 WD.

I don't live where the snow comes down in 6" drops!

It is Canada after all and we get snow.

A decent tractor can drive through deep snow. That is a given. Sometimes it compacts the snow and rides on top of the compressed layer. Other times it sinks to the dirt or gravel and goes through.

Think of how you cut grass that has not been cut for a long time. You make different height passes to get it to the level you want.

Blowing snow is not much different. I can take a cut off the top traveling quickly or I can clear to the surface below by going slow. I find going fast and making two cuts ends up being faster.

The weight of the blower will clear snow the tractor tires have compacted.

The blade I made for the inverted blower is 1/2" plate with a 3 x3" x 1/2 stiffener across the back. To hydraulic cylinders put the weight of the blower unto the edge of the rear blade to scrape the surface.

In the spring and fall, I use the same rear blade on my blower to grade my gravel driveway.

I have used the blower like a box blade to spread topsoil and level lawns.

For the Mckee blower shown in an earlier post, angled wings can be added to increase the width of the blower. Having a piece of vertical steel shielding the auger chain drive was a feature on later models and is a good upgrade.

Dave M7040

/ 3pt Rear Snow blower #33  
One aspect of blower selection that gets overlooked is the relative height of the tractor's pto shaft and the center of the blower/ fan where the pto is attached to the blower.

Ideally they are at almost the same height so sometimes it means selecting a blower with a narrower but wider diameter fan and at times a wider but smaller diameter fan.

As the angle the U joints must deal with to power an attachment increases, the limited life of the U joint quickly accelerates which is why trying to match tractor pto height to implement pto height has real benefits.

9sJvNSY.jpg

Dave M7040

/ 3pt Rear Snow blower
I just got another price quote for the MK Martin SB72
Total price is $2900.00.
The Woodmaxx is $200.00 cheaper.
I'm still concerned about the weight difference.
Woodmaxx 755 lbs
MK Martin 540 lbs
Why 200lbs?
And the cutting edge is thicker on the Woodmaxx.

/ 3pt Rear Snow blower #35  
Thicker steel,

Not to throw gasoline on your snow fire but I would be more worried about the Woodmax units simply because of the recent bearing failures that have been highlighted with their flail mowers.

A Series 1000 single stage unit will have fewer parts and no secondary impeller gearbox and it has a taller chute and spout as we have mentioned before BUT if you have to contend with deep snows a pull behind unit will be a problem UNLESS and ONLY UNLESS you are out blowing off the snow every few hours in a storm or simply deep snow fall period where the silver dollar sized snow flakes come into play.

Are your rear tires loaded and do you have 2 link V bar snow chains or grader tire snow chains??

/ 3pt Rear Snow blower
Yes the tires are loaded.
I have regular tire chains on all tires.
I wasn't aware of the bearing failure Woodmaxx has had with their flailmowers.
I like the 5 blade fan the Martin has.
But I like the thicker, replaceable cutting edge Woodmaxx has.

/ 3pt Rear Snow blower
12320170804_180338.jpg

/ 3pt Rear Snow blower #40  
Edit- Nevermind. I had no clue what I was looking at. Apparently that's a backhoe haha!

Last edited: