3pt weight lift capacity

/ 3pt weight lift capacity #1  

barkerwc4362

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 332 (1987 and 1989) and 2004 John Deere 790 with 300 loader
I recently purchased a 1986 CaseIH 244. It is a Mitsubishi tractor that International and then CaseIH sold in the mid 80's. It apparently is the equivalent of a Mitsubishi MT210. It has a Mitsubishi K3D 3 cylinder diesel w/live hydraulics, power steering, and 3 speed transmission w/3 speed rear differential. It has Cat1 3 point with draft control. A KMW model 95 loader is mounted and receives its hydraulics from two ports located at the left rear of the tractor. The problem I am having is the 3 point will not lift my 5 ft Howse disk. The disk weighs approximately 500 lbs and should not be an issue. I also noticed the 3 point arms do not raise very high. I believe I have a way to fix the arm height issue through an adjustment of the nut on the hitch raise control rod. I was trying to move the disk using the 3 point when I discovered the tractor would not lift it. I never connected the top link, because the top link fully compressed was too long to be connected. After hooking up the two lower hitch pins I attempted to raise the front of the disk so I could attach the top link. The 3 point arms did not move. I unhooked the lower pins and moved the tractor forward, then stood on both lift arms and raised the 3 point. It lifted my weight (250 lbs). I ended up moving the disk by using the loader to pick the disk up using a log chain. The loader had no problem picking the disk up, so system hydraulic pressure and volume are not a problem. The service manual talks about a hydraulic relief valve located on the left side of the hydraulic hitch cover. You adjust the shims to change the opening pressure of the relief valve. My question is: Does this relief valve only affect the 3 point or the whole hydraulic system? The manual is not clear. It would seem I have enough system pressure, just not at the 3 point. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

/ 3pt weight lift capacity #2  
------------------- The service manual talks about a hydraulic relief valve located on the left side of the hydraulic hitch cover. You adjust the shims to change the opening pressure of the relief valve. My question is: Does this relief valve only affect the 3 point or the whole hydraulic system? The manual is not clear. It would seem I have enough system pressure, just not at the 3 point. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

The service manual should show how to check the pressure, that would be the first step.

It should also have a diagram of the hydraulic system.

/ 3pt weight lift capacity
Well it turns out making the adjustment to the hitch raise control rod to increase the height of the 3 point lift arms solved the problem. The hitch raise control rod adjusts the end point for the top of the lift arm travel. It would seem that the end point was set too low and even though the arms appeared to raise high enough to at least partially raise the disk, under load they encountered the set end point before they actually raised the disk. Now that the hitch raise control rod is adjusted properly the arms reach the top of their travel at the same time that the position control reaches it's full up position. The disk now is raised at least 6 inches off the ground with the 3 point in the full up position. A word of caution when lengthening the rod. The rod can be made too long and the system never reaches the end point and the lift cylinder continues to cycle fluid. It is a state much like you hear with a power steering system all the way over, just not that loud. If you listen closely you can hear when the fluid flowing to the lift cylinder stops as the set point is reached. As long as the fluid stops flowing when the position control is in it's full up position you should be okay.

Bill

/ 3pt weight lift capacity #4  
That's called the feed back adjustment, the arm should just have a little free play when all the way up.

/ 3pt weight lift capacity #5  
barkerwc4362, if you haven't done it already use the lower position on the tractor for the top link to maximize ground clearance when raised. 6" isn't much room. ISZ

/ 3pt weight lift capacity #6  
Glad it works now. That's a lot of disc for that tractor, hope it works for you. Realize longer implements like a disc also effectively "weigh more" than they do, since they are out farther from the lift arms... although lifting that should not be an issue. I'm more concerned about traction.