3pt winch for getting unstuck?

/ 3pt winch for getting unstuck?
Bein too poor to have all them fancy toys, like winches, growin up I learned there is usually a simpler way, and there sure is one here.
Junkyards are full of right angle gear boxes that will adapt to the PTO, and it ain't all that hard to fabricate up a bracket to hold the gearbox to the rear end. Go an extra step and you could drive the gearbox with a chain, so it would be above the 3 point. Attach a capstain head to the output shaft of the gearbox, and all you have to do is run a few turns of a rope around the capstain and you can drag near anything.

/ 3pt winch for getting unstuck? #12  
Where can one find a capstan head? I have searched the web for one, but cannot find it. I visited some boat and marina shops in Seattle and Everrett and came up empty handed (also, no one could give me a referral, either).

2 ways to go about it, either pay some dollars for it, or get yourself a piece of 4" round stock, bore it to fit the putput shaft, and put a couple rings of 1/2" round stock on the ends.
If slippage is a big problem, you can run a few beads of weld along the circumference of the drum, paralell to the shaft.
Nicest part about a capstain is the pull is constant, unlike a winch. On a winch as the drum fills you have less pull with the same torque and more speed on the winch line.

/ 3pt winch for getting unstuck? #15  
Here is one that I have hanging in my garage, I can walk back and carry it out to the tractor. I have not needed it yet. The FEL has always been enought to get me unstuck.

15497_lg.gif

Ed

/ 3pt winch for getting unstuck? #16  
<font color=blue>we need Harv or Jinman to illustrate these thoughts into a visual....</font color=blue>

I can draw the monkey if Harv can draw the football./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

35-83637-JimIBoomer.jpg

JimI

OK... start drawing.... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

and make him happy.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ 3pt winch for getting unstuck? #18  
<font color=blue>need Harv or Jinman to illustrate these thoughts</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>I can draw the monkey if Harv can draw the football</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>OK... start drawing.... </font color=blue>

There! That's just to prove I am reading this thread. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

No fun ignoring stuff if nobody knows you're ignoring it. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ 3pt winch for getting unstuck? #19  
Well, I hadn't been getting stuck that much, never on level ground even in mud up to the front axle B U T with a slope to keep trying to put you back in the soup it was pretty easy to get stuck. I think I may have to start carying a come-along and some sort of folding Danforth style anchor (most straight line holding power for the weight as sometimes there aren't big enough trees close enough) and a length of chain and some cable or rope. Shouldn't need a really long line as I like to think I would try to back out instead of taking a chance on freeing myself going forward to only encounter worse conditions.

At least I probably won't be under threat of enemy fire (UNLESS YOIU COUNT MY CRAZY NEIGHBOR).

Patrick

/ 3pt winch for getting unstuck? #20  
Ain't it fun stickin' stuff in the mud?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Saturday, my nephew stuck the moving van in his dad's yard. Three lengths of chain reached to the back end of my old 3/4 ton Ford on solid ground, but since it was a mix of gravel and grass, that wasn't enough./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif But then a long cable from the front end of my old Ford to the back end of my brother's Suzuki Sidekick out in the road finally did the trick./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

BirdSig.jpg