3PTH trailer hitch

/ 3PTH trailer hitch #1  

leveller

Bronze Member
I have wanted to build one of these for a while, so yesterday when I needed to move two trailers to clear snow, I decided I would quickly build one. Well, quickly turned out to be a whole afternoon, but I can see this will quickly become one of my favorite attachments! I was wondering if it would handle my dump trailer, as it is quite heavy, but it was easy to move with this hitch. Now I'm wondering if it will handle a loaded trailer, sure would be handy at times! I know lots of these have been posted, and I did not build anything that has not been done before, but here are some pics, Greg

Attachments

• DSC04544.jpg
    DSC04544.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC04546.jpg
    DSC04546.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 621
  • DSC04547.jpg
    DSC04547.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC04548.jpg
    DSC04548.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 664
   / 3PTH trailer hitch #2  
Hello
I'm sure it will handle a loaded trailer.
You will probably wonder why you waited so long to build one.
You can rig it up to do a lot more than just pull a trailer also.

/ 3PTH trailer hitch #3  
I made mine out of an old hitch from a truck, that way most of it was made for me and I can use different drawbars depending on what I want to move. It works great.
I would expect you could move a loaded trailer depending on weight and how much grade. On a firm level surface I would say no problem.

Attachments

• 31-12-08_1719.jpg
    31-12-08_1719.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 684
   / 3PTH trailer hitch #4  
I have wanted to build one of these for a while, so yesterday when I needed to move two trailers to clear snow, I decided I would quickly build one. Well, quickly turned out to be a whole afternoon, but I can see this will quickly become one of my favorite attachments! I was wondering if it would handle my dump trailer, as it is quite heavy, but it was easy to move with this hitch. Now I'm wondering if it will handle a loaded trailer, sure would be handy at times! I know lots of these have been posted, and I did not build anything that has not been done before, but here are some pics, Greg

I have a marina that we use our Kubota DT 7510 with a "Trailer Hitch" exactly like you built to move our boats. The hitch has survived 25 years and three Kubota's moving approximately 1,000 boats each year from 14ft to 30 ft in length and it works great. Our turf tires are loaded (more traction then industrial tires on our asphalt boat ramp) and on the bigger boats we need front weights or the loader installed but the unit has worked well and is kind to the tractor. Just keep the turnbuckles tight to prevent side to side motion or you can "spin the tractor out" on corners and if loose makes it tough to back the trailer up. GOOD JOB on the build.

Last edited:
   / 3PTH trailer hitch #5  
I loved mine so much I had to build another, it was always on the wrong tractor. Both of mine are just a vertical that bolt through a drawbar.

/ 3PTH trailer hitch #6  
Looks great, but don't paint it yet.

You still need some break away chain hooks and more importantly a way to limit the height the 3 pt can rise. since there's no down pressure on the 3 pt, under certain situations it can rise up uncontrollably, possibly damaging something.

You need it for dumping trailer for sure, but even for transporting, if you start going down hill and try and stop, sometimes the trailer can force the 3 pt upwards beyond it's normal travel range. Possibly causing damage, injury or loss of control.

I have a Flexpoint hitch, but had to put the break away loops and limiter chain hook on myself. They should come with them IMO.

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN3868.JPG
    DSCN3868.JPG
    946 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCN3878.JPG
    DSCN3878.JPG
    988.2 KB · Views: 479
  • DSCN3716.JPG
    DSCN3716.JPG
    853.9 KB · Views: 418
  • DSCN3715.JPG
    DSCN3715.JPG
    993.2 KB · Views: 587
   / 3PTH trailer hitch
never thought of a chain to limit height. Do you make the chain so short that the 3pth can not go all the way up? Would this cause damage if you moved the 3pth lift lever all the way back? I could see this chain being needed while dumping my trailer, Thanks, Greg

/ 3PTH trailer hitch #8  
I use the same set up with the chain.
The grab hook allows adjustment for the height. I would imagine something would give if you were to go way up with it and not feeling the tension. I drop the chain on the hook, then VERY slowly raise the hitch till its snug and then be sure not to raise anymore. On mine there is an adjustable limiter tab on the hand lever i could set to avoid raising it to high.

/ 3PTH trailer hitch #9  

If you are going to pull the trailer shown when loaded, better have the brakes hooked up for any downhill travel, as well as have the limit chain on the 3 ph. The tractor may have the traction to get that size load moving, but need to plan on how to stop it. A jack-knifed trailer pushing you along is not a pleasant experience, and can easily be life threatening.
Electric brakes would be best, as in a jack-knife position, some hydraulic brake systems don't work so well.

/ 3PTH trailer hitch
If you are going to pull the trailer shown when loaded, better have the brakes hooked up for any downhill travel, as well as have the limit chain on the 3 ph. The tractor may have the traction to get that size load moving, but need to plan on how to stop it. A jack-knifed trailer pushing you along is not a pleasant experience, and can easily be life threatening.
Electric brakes would be best, as in a jack-knife position, some hydraulic brake systems don't work so well.

Thanks for the advice. I have no intensions of pulling this trailer with my tractor, other than to get it into or out of a tight spot at times. I will mainly use the tractor to move trailers around the yard,like when I need to clear snow or mow. I will make provisions for a limiting chain, as I am sure at some point I will dump the trailer while attached to the tractor, Thanks again, Greg