3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment #1  

whitmerlegacyfarm

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti DK50SE HST w/ 401 Loader
Ok all i know i've been posting a lot on here but, I'm picking up my New Holland 66 Baler on Sunday. I already started sickle barin the fields down. Theres a lil rain in forcast for tomorrow just a chance of shower or two. I'm having trouble getting the sickle mower from clogging up. Guess need new cutters. But i'm also going to go pick up a H&S 8 Tedder tomorrow and a free Crimper tomorrow evening. So my question is...

Can i run the crimper threw after rain and then run this Tedder over it and allow it to dry for 2 daays or so until my baler comes? Does it hurt to ted another time to dry. and then rake day i'm redy to bale. This is all new to me, WITH my own equipment.

I'm cuttin mainly stands of timothy with a little orchard grass and few weeds.

Thanks all

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment #2  
In this part of the country we don't use a crimper ... I thought crimpers needed to have the hay windrowed??? Windrow, crimp, ted, windrow and bale ... I may be way off base here.

You say your cutting timothy, orchard grass and a few weeds ... do you have a weed extractor?? (just kidding)

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment #3  
I still think your baler is a 68 and not a 66, but will need better pics once you get it.

This late in the year, the biggest challenge will be getting the hay dry as you do not even have long days of sunshine or warm temperatures to aide you. Crimping and then tedding multiple times will likely be required. Crimping or tedding multiple times on grass is no big deal like it can be on alfalfa - with alfalfa you have to worry about leaf loss. No leaves to worry about losing on grass.

Really though it does not matter even if you do suffer yield loss as you have to do what you have to do to get the hay dry enough for barn storage - unless you plan to feed imediately and skip storage. Wet hay has burned down many a barn which is not a good thing nor is hay that has molded from being too wet even if it does not cause a fire.

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment
Yea im gettin redy to try crimper today n the ttedder is workiin good so hopfullu it will dry. Rain comin in monday, n I cant pick ip baler im buyin till tomorrow at 3 or 4. So mmayb I will hav time to run a few bales threw b4 dark. I will post pics of baler once I get it home.

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment #5  
Hope you have a moisture meter.

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment
Nope I dont. What does a simple one of those moisture meters cost? And wheres the best place to pick one up.

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment #7  
Agri supply has them for around 250.00 but I know you can get them cheaper. I got mine used from a neighbor who got out of the hay business. Don't know about your part of the world but here in south Ga. a moisture meter is a must have.

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment #8  
Ok all i know i've been posting a lot on here but, I'm picking up my New Holland 66 Baler on Sunday. I already started sickle barin the fields down. Theres a lil rain in forcast for tomorrow just a chance of shower or two. I'm having trouble getting the sickle mower from clogging up. Guess need new cutters. But i'm also going to go pick up a H&S 8 Tedder tomorrow and a free Crimper tomorrow evening. So my question is...

Can i run the crimper threw after rain and then run this Tedder over it and allow it to dry for 2 daays or so until my baler comes? Does it hurt to ted another time to dry. and then rake day i'm redy to bale. This is all new to me, WITH my own equipment.

I'm cuttin mainly stands of timothy with a little orchard grass and few weeds.

Thanks all

If the sections are wore in the mower blade, replace them and sharpen the rest. Check the ledger plates on each rock guard. You should be able to rub your finger and feel a aggressive rough edge, if not replace ledgers or guards. Check sickle toe clamps for proper clearance. If it clogs at the end, a special chromed double section ^^ especially made for the end of the sickle will help. Ken Sweet

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment #9  
Late reply I know, but a point to make here. Trying to make hay past 9-15, you are on borrowed time getting it dry. If you have enough time, maybe you can take the shot. The problem I have found is that taking that late cut, and then all the teddering does lots of damage to the plant stand. Not to say I have not been desperate enough to do it, but it will really lower the plant density in the field. Most often just better off to let it go and buy a little. Personal experience is that this is less costly in the long run.

/ 3rd Cutting of Hay w/ New to me equipment #10  
Were you plugging due to dead undergrowth, or just dull ledger plates, and sections..?? For next year, you may try tipping the cutter bar back, to keep from gathering the dead stuff. Or, just carry it up a bit.

Then again, there is such a thing, as having proper lead in the cutter bar itself. IF a PO has ran into things, and sprung the bar, or just needs adjusted makes a world of difference in how they cut.

I also did the sickle bar mower, and crimper for several years. Finally found an IH mower/conditioner. Sure saves time, and money on fuel, and wear and tear.

Having an about 40% mix of clover and alfalfa in my hay, I prefer to ted in the morning, when the dew is still on, around here starting about 9:00 a.m. Seems to still be enough moisture, to keep from knocking the leaves off. It helps to match your RPM's and ground speed to fluff/spread it, but not whip it real hard.