3rd function - help me decide

/ 3rd function - help me decide #1  

AlbionWood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford NH 1920
OK, I have read a few threads about different ways to add a valve to operate a thumb or grapple, and am still not sure what the pros and cons are. I need to decide which way to go soon.
My tractor: Ford NH 1920, 7 gpm hydraulic gear pump, has FEL with 2-spool valve. Also has single remote valve mounted on rear fender to operate toplink, run off the hydraulic manifold block.

If I understand correctly I have 3 options:
1) Replace single remote valve with a double valve
2) Add a diverter valve on the bucket rollback lines
3) Add a 3rd function valve

If I can just take the single remote valve out and replace it with 2 valves, maybe that's the easiest (no electronic switches etc), but it would require running long lines from the back up to the front, under the tractor, which sounds like a bit of a pain.

Diverter valve seems pretty simple to install and would allow feathering. Kind of leaning toward this one.

3rd function seems like the most complicated installation. Are there advantages that make this worthwhile?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

/ 3rd function - help me decide #2  
If you are not logging or clearing land, I ask myself how much well I be using it. I do fire wood cutting and that is why I made mine, so I went the cheapest way I could. I just unplug my T & T.

/ 3rd function - help me decide #4  
I have no idea what that means.
Its a hydraulic top link for the 3 point hitch. The problem is you still need two sets of hydraulics. One for the backhoe and one for the thumb. I only have a manual thumb on my backhoe.

/ 3rd function - help me decide #5  
Hello AlbionWood, Is this for fulltime commercial work or high use private or low use private work?
As a commercial driver I have a third function set up. If you go for a third function setup then I recommend a rocker switch, or a large(bigger than finger tip) button switch on the joystick. My set up has a press-and-hold button to activate the third function, and the button is small and uncomfortable.
Option 2 I haven't tried and option 1 swopping controls to operate the grapple would get old quickly .

/ 3rd function - help me decide #6  
Got nothing against diverters they are very popular...But...
...IF...the loader valve has a PB port...IMO, adding a dedicated grapple/thumb valve is really easy...and probably the least expensive way to go...
The hardest part is deciding where and how to mount the valve...
Having an independent valve also allows some detent options...

Below is a pic of how I mounted my front remote valve...I made a longer, more ergonomic control lever...
...for the particular valve I used (less than $100) I have a hold detent that takes the place of a "bungee cord" etc. for remote use on log splitters etc...
FWIW...I use the detent mostly on a skid mounted hydraulic winch that can be chained to anything...have a set of 20' remote hoses...

BTW...When I was acquiring the grapple parts I found a set of OEM K_ubota FEL hoses (5) for unreal cheap...I only had to buy the short PB hose...sorry for the grainy pic...and good luck with whatever way you go...a grapple/thumb on an FEL is like T&T for a 3ph...

MVC-001F.JPG

/ 3rd function - help me decide #7  
Got nothing against diverters they are very popular...But...
...IF...the loader valve has a PB port...IMO, adding a dedicated grapple/thumb valve is really easy...and probably the least expensive way to go...
The hardest part is deciding where and how to mount the valve...
Having an independent valve also allows some detent options...

Below is a pic of how I mounted my front remote valve...I made a longer, more ergonomic control lever...
...for the particular valve I used (less than $100) I have a hold detent that takes the place of a "bungee cord" etc. for remote use on log splitters etc...
FWIW...I use the detent mostly on a skid mounted hydraulic winch that can be chained to anything...have a set of 20' remote hoses...

BTW...When I was acquiring the grapple parts I found a set of OEM K_ubota FEL hoses (5) for unreal cheap...I only had to buy the short PB hose...sorry for the grainy pic...and good luck with whatever way you go...a grapple/thumb on an FEL is like T&T for a 3ph...

View attachment 458482

I like that! Are those levers positioned so you can articulate them with one hand? I run a 4n1 bucket and you need to float the arms, curl the bucket and close the bucket all at the same time to pickup the last bit of lose dirt on the ground. Looks like that set up will do it.

/ 3rd function - help me decide #8  
I went the other way and cut my handle shorter. Yes I can control the grapple and FEL at the same time. The other 2 are hydraulic toplink and tilt (sidelink).

View attachment 458518

/ 3rd function - help me decide #9  
Awesome, so to be able to float, curl and close I need to see what type valve I have on the FEL?

Currently I have a 3rd function setup on order from my dealer.

If Im understanding correctly, the 3rd function will not let me float, curl and close at the same time?

Im not trying to be a pain, I just want the correct setup.

/ 3rd function - help me decide
Hello AlbionWood, Is this for fulltime commercial work or high use private or low use private work?

Low use private. The Ford NH 1920 is a 33HP 4WD compact tractor. Periodically I go around the property and limb up a bunch of redwood trees, and it would be nice to have a thumb on the forks to pick up the piles of limbs and occasional small log.