Front-End Loader 3rd function uses...

/ 3rd function uses... #1  

BLSXJ

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I'm looking into adding some auxiliary hydraulics to my L3400. so here is my question.

what do you use your 3rd function hydraulics for? besides a grapple.

/ 3rd function uses... #2  
Those 4-in-1 buckets use the third function.

I've wondered, as I am looking now at tractors with FELs, whether it would make sense to put a hydraulic motor on the FEL frame to drill post holes. This then could use the third function connections. Our soil doesn't really have rocks, and it goes OK with a two stroke post hole digger, but can be a bit tiring and smelly.

/ 3rd function uses... #3  
In addition to my grapple, I use the 3rd function for the power angle function on a snow plow, and with an SSQA to 3pt adapter, a cinder spreader, stone rake and a cement mixer.

Be aware that some 3rd function valves can overheat and are not meant for continuous duty. Care must also be used when operating hydraulic motors. The instant on / off action stops the motor abruptly and does not allow for spin down. In some cases, the use of a crossover relief valve is necessary.

/ 3rd function uses... #4  
I'm looking into adding some auxiliary hydraulics to my L3400. so here is my question.

Hydraulic forks, grapple, water valve actuator for my watering can (1000 L tote), tree spade.

/ 3rd function uses... #5  
I use mine for a tree & post puller, have a grapple coming shortly.

/ 3rd function uses...
My tractor only puts out less then 10L/min of hyd fluid and "most" 3rd function solenoid valve discourage continuous use. so things like spreaders, post hole augers and other "spinning" attachments seem to be bad idea.

So far I could see myself using the 3rd function for a grapple, snow plow angle, snow blower chute rotation, and tree puller/shear jaws.

/ 3rd function uses... #7  
My third function is used to control my grapple only, so far.

/ 3rd function uses... #8  
I use mine for a grapple and a hydraulic post hole digger.

/ 3rd function uses... #9  

The Long Arm Tree puller and a 7' brush hog:

P6140015.JPG
PA010003.JPG