3RD FUNCTION VALVE VS DIVERTER VALVE

/ 3RD FUNCTION VALVE VS DIVERTER VALVE #1  

Brimfield

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3800
I am finally going to convert my L3800 to SSQA. The firs attachment I ordered was a log grapple. Now I am wondering if a diverter or 3rd function is better and the prices of them. Is there a Kubota Kit for a LA524 loader? I am getting the 2nd lever quick attach 2216 from the dealer cheaper than others and I do like the Kubota direct part idea for ease of installation. I wish I got the SSQA when i ordered my L3800, the dealer recommended it but noooo I said I would never need it:rolleyes:

/ 3RD FUNCTION VALVE VS DIVERTER VALVE #2  
In terms of functionality, a 3rd function is vastly better. You can curl and squeeze at the same time. Logs/brush shift as you curl so squeezing again keeps things from falling out.

/ 3RD FUNCTION VALVE VS DIVERTER VALVE #3  
My Kubota third function will let me stop anywhere;open or close.That's handy at times.

/ 3RD FUNCTION VALVE VS DIVERTER VALVE #4  
A third function means you can operate either of the other two loader functions (lift/curl) at the same time as the 3rd function. Hence the name.

A diverter taps into either of the other two functions and diverts the flow from said function to whatever attachment you have whenever you activate it. When the solenoid is activated, you still have to move the joystick in the direction of whatever function you are diverting.

In reality.....there is little to no difference in capability and user function. Diverter gives you the ability to feather the control just the same as you would raising/lowering or dumping/curling the loader. Gives you more "feel" so to speak. Whereas a 3rd...its a button. Either on of off. Some people have reported being able to toggle a grapple on/off to give a "feathering" like ability as to not crush something you are trying to pick up.

Only word of caution is that a diverter "may" not work if hooked to the curl circuit. I dont know what loader valve the L3800 has. But my MX is a regen only valve. SO I had to divert the lift/lower functions. So my operation of the loader and grapple is like this.....

Loader control works like always. I have a joystick with a trigger button. Squeeze trigger and pull lever back (as in raising the loader) and the grapple closes. Squeeze trigger and push forward and grapple opens. Dont squeeze trigger and push/pull lever and loader raises/lowers like normal

/ 3RD FUNCTION VALVE VS DIVERTER VALVE #5  
I have the same question, and was wondering which would be better on a BX23S, the Kubota unit that is a diverter unit, or the Land Pride that is a true 3rd function option. Looking for some people that have real world experiences with either of these units.

/ 3RD FUNCTION VALVE VS DIVERTER VALVE #6  
I believe 3rd function works best on larger tractors with more flow capacity. My M9540 runs all three just fine.

I prefer 3rd function. But it costs more.

If money is the primary deciding factor then by all means go diverter.