Oil & Fuel 3x20 Cab fuel guage.

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #1  

nmu98

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5203, JD 3720, JD 4110, JD 445, IH 1586, IH 886, IH 404......
I have a whopping 5 hours of rotary cutting on my 3720. On my open station, i would be at half tank. That thing loved diesel.... I have yet to see the fuel guage move off full on the new tractor. I opened the fill and i can see its using fuel! but no guage movement. Does the tank under the wheel well stay full on the guage then go empty fast? I don't want to runn out of fuel to find out the guage is not working.:rolleyes:

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #2  
I find that on my 3720 Cab tractor, the fuel gauge doesn't move from full for quite a long time, but once it hits 3/4 mark the gauge can move down quite a bit faster. It must have something to do with the geometry of the linkage. So keep an eye on it once you hit 3/4 of a tank, because before you know it, it will be closer to 1/4 tank....

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #4  
I notice too that when my gauge is pretty much on empty if I put in 5 gallons it goes almost back up to full which can't be right since it is 11 gallon tank on the cab-

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage.
kiwiroo said:
I notice too that when my gauge is pretty much on empty if I put in 5 gallons it goes almost back up to full which can't be right since it is 11 gallon tank on the cab-

My Open Station was the same way, and I believe they have a 13 gallon tank?

Glad to hear I most likely do not have a bad guage.

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #6  
JasonMac said:
I find that on my 3720 Cab tractor, the fuel gauge doesn't move from full for quite a long time, but once it hits 3/4 mark the gauge can move down quite a bit faster. It must have something to do with the geometry of the linkage. So keep an eye on it once you hit 3/4 of a tank, because before you know it, it will be closer to 1/4 tank....

Same on my 3720 cab tractor. At first I thought the gauge was messed up.
Mine also does very good on fuel. I've been keeping track for about one year and it's averaging 0.6 gal per hour mowing 6 acres of lawn with 72" 7-Iron mower at about 2200 rpm. :)

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #7  
Well, mine stayed at full for a few days, then gradually moved down to 3/4 tank, then to 1/2, it did not accelerate, but I will check how much fuel i need to put in it at the next partial fill-up.

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage.
I finally came off full this morning.:D

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #9  
Nuru said:
Well, mine stayed at full for a few days, then gradually moved down to 3/4 tank, then to 1/2, it did not accelerate, but I will check how much fuel i need to put in it at the next partial fill-up.

break, break, Comm check, break, break, uddenly down to 1/4 tank, missed the 1/2 to 1/4 transition as it seemed to havwe done it between start-ups:eek: LOL! i will watch more closely next time.

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #10  
Same here, gauge seemed stuck on full for a few days then sudden drop to half mark then, seemingly overnight while tractor not in use, drops to 1/4. Now I see why the manual states "Shows approximately how much fuel is in the fuel tank."

I only used the tractor for 2 hours at moderate throttle since last fill-up so I know there's more fuel in there than the gauge says (no leaks) but just how much is anyone's guess. I suspect the extreme cold temps we've been experiencing the last few days may have an effect on the gauge.