Tires 3x20 Series tire warning

/ 3x20 Series tire warning #1  

greg_g

Tractor
JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket
Bought a new 3720 cab with 300X loader and standard R1 tires. Substituted optional 4-in-1 bucket and added a ballast box. When carrying something with the bucket, I didn't like the way the thing wallowed on my hillside pasture. Turns out it was rolling on the 2 ply sidewalls sidewalls.

I pumped in more air, no help. I even went 5 pounds over the pressure recommended on the sidewalls. It was then I noticed the load capacity. I totaled up the max capacity of all four tires, it came to 6262 pounds. But as configured, my 3720 working weight - with a full tank of fuel and me behind the wheel - is tickling 6000 pounds. And that's with an empty bucket. Which means that - with a bucket full of almost anything - the max tire capacity is exceeded. Given the high profile and narrow tread, it's no wonder the **** things were rolling on their sidewalls.

I view this as a problem with the John Deere configurator. Seems to me it should be calculating the weight of your machine as you build it, and send up a red flag when you start getting close to the tire capacity. As it is, I'm now forced to buy the taller of the R4 tires/rim options to make up for what the standard R1s can't handle. It remains to be seen how bad I'll get screwed on the OE tires/rims, so I'll keep you posted.

//greg//

/ 3x20 Series tire warning #2  
There are limits to everything, and you found them for your tractor.

Be careful on the sidehills. ;)

/ 3x20 Series tire warning #3  
got R4s on mine. In your case, if the tractor is new, maybe the dealer will give you a credit for the 4 and you go buy another R1 brand that may be better...just offering an idea

/ 3x20 Series tire warning #4  
According to the configurator the R1 tire have a 6pr (6 ply rating) if yours do not than I think somethings up.

/ 3x20 Series tire warning #5  
According to the configurator the R1 tire have a 6pr (6 ply rating) if yours do not than I think somethings up.

they do have 6 ply, but 4 in the tread and 2 in the sidewall.

I ended up with a set of ag's for my 3320 but found the same problem with the fronts. i ended up coming up with a different solution, bigger tires for the front.

i went with some r4 27x12.5-15 on 15x10 rims. They have the same height profile as the r1 did.

Now i have nice huge floater tires on the front and the nice ag's set way out wide on the rear. So far really happy with them.

Before the fronts would sink in any situation those are just to skinny of a tire for loader work in my opinion.

/ 3x20 Series tire warning #6  
here are some pics, the one side by side of the r4 and r1, the r4 isn't mounted on a rim yet once i did that and put proper air in it the heights are unbelievably equal.

/ 3x20 Series tire warning #7  
here are some pics, the one side by side of the r4 and r1, the r4 isn't mounted on a rim yet once i did that and put proper air in it the heights are unbelievably equal.

Did you really DRIVE the tractor OUT of whatever mudhole you fell into - or - did you have to get pulled out? :laughing:

AKfish

/ 3x20 Series tire warning
i went with some r4 27x12.5-15 on 15x10 rims. They have the same height profile as the r1 did.
Yup, that's John Deere's bundle LVB25673; two 2-position steel wheels with 27x8.5-15-in. 6 PR (R4) front tires. I'm getting that set plus a set of LVB25494: two 2-position steel wheels with 43x16-20-in. 4 PR (R4) rear tires. Similar height profile to the R1 rears. Click here. Obtaining them through a jobber that is said to actually supply wheels and tires to John Deere. Supposedly will save a little money by eliminating the John Deere parts counter markup. But I don't know a final price yet, until I find out how much I'll get in return for the basically unblemished OE tires & rims

//greg//

/ 3x20 Series tire warning #9  
akfish,

I did get out myself. With some help from the loader of course! I wish i had taken a pic when i was in the deepest, but i was to nervous trying to get the thing outta there! I went about 50 yards through mud and slop up to the floor deck..... Those tall r1 in the rear make the thing pretty hard to stop...

and greg, my fronts are 27x12.5-15 unlike the deere 27x8.5-15. I hope you get a good deal on your new ones.

Last edited:
   / 3x20 Series tire warning
Ah yes, I overlooked your width dimension. Thanks for the clarification.

//greg//