4 acre farm tractor needed

/ 4 acre farm tractor needed #11  
I know you said $10000, is that cash available- or all you are able to finance?:confused:

Kubota has some really good financing available right now. You can include Land Pride implements in the package as well, so you could start out with the equipment you need.:D

Several years ago, I bought a 7510 with FEL and 54 MMM for $13000 (new). I run it on 5 acres (mostly hilly/rough)- but couldn't be happier. (although I try to convince the wife i need something bigger...:rolleyes:)

If your soil is easily workable, then the 20hp range might do you well. if you run the right implements, I think you would be happy.

I have seen similar used tractors with some "toys" in the 10000 range, if you work on the dealers and do your research, I think you'll be able to get set up well.

/ 4 acre farm tractor needed #12  
Pulling stumps would be a big question mark for me. I would recommend hiring that piece out and buying something that will do the dirt work. You can probably get something used that will do the trick for under 10K.:)

/ 4 acre farm tractor needed #13  
Not sure of your region, but in many areas there will be tractors and implements for sale locally on Craigslist under "Farm & Garden." I have bought and sold many different things (including a tractor) through them, and if you do things locally you should have no problem. Just watch out for the 419 scammers; they can be pests.

/ 4 acre farm tractor needed #14  
I think the want ad idea is a good one. A lot of people are hurting for cash right now and getting rid of things they "don't need". Bought mine in a sort of fire sale.

/ 4 acre farm tractor needed #15  
We just bought 4 acres of flat land to start a vegetable farm. We'll need to turn large compost piles, dig out an irrigation ditch, pull out stumps, till, etc. What do you recommend for a used tractor? We can't spent more than $10,000.

We found a JD 4100 1991 tractor with under 400 hours on it for $8,500 OBO. It has a front end loader, but no other attachments. Is this a decent deal? Is there a website we can go to and find prices for attachments for used tractors such as this one?

Thanks for the help.

According to TractorData.com, the JD4100 was built in 1998-2000 and has a 3-cyl Yanmar engine (19 hp engine, 17 hp pto). Not very different from the Kubota B7510HST/LA302 FEL I had as my first tractor. The asking price is reasonable since it includes the FEL.

You won't be pulling very large stumps with that tractor unless you do a lot of preliminary digging and root-chopping.

Digging an irrigation ditch--how wide a ditch? How deep? Narrow and deep points you toward a backhoe--very pricy. Better to have this job contracted out.

Tilling--with 19 hp you're looking at a single bottom moldboard plow for deep tillage. You might be able to handle 4 acres of vegetables with a 4-ft wide rototiller. I bought a used Yanmar RS1200 rototiller for $300. Works fine.

/ 4 acre farm tractor needed #16  
According to TractorData.com, the JD4100 was built in 1998-2000 and has a 3-cyl Yanmar engine (19 hp engine, 17 hp pto). Not very different from the Kubota B7510HST/LA302 FEL I had as my first tractor. The asking price is reasonable since it includes the FEL.

You won't be pulling very large stumps with that tractor unless you do a lot of preliminary digging and root-chopping.

Digging an irrigation ditch--how wide a ditch? How deep? Narrow and deep points you toward a backhoe--very pricy. Better to have this job contracted out.

Tilling--with 19 hp you're looking at a single bottom moldboard plow for deep tillage. You might be able to handle 4 acres of vegetables with a 4-ft wide rototiller. I bought a used Yanmar RS1200 rototiller for $300. Works fine.

The 4100s were actually built until 2001, had a 20 hp engine, I bought one the last year they were made

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...&ETID=1&GUID=73D4DEDA7DC44E198F4A26D2DC92F5F3