4020 hydraulic fluid leak

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #1  

kfin

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2310D
I was running the shredder today and all of the sudden I could hardly turn the tractor, checked the hydro fluid and it was empty. Once I filled it up and started it fluid was basically pouring out from just above the brake pedal on the right side. It was also coming out just a little from the top of the plate that has the key and start button on it......What could have broken in there? Serious repair or possibly an easy fix?
Thanks for any info.
Keith

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #2  
Probably the steering valve or line sprung a leak.

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak
Probably the steering valve or line sprung a leak.

What do I take off and how....to see what the problem is? do the sides come off by the brake and clutch pedals? Or does that front plate where the key goes come off?

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #4  
What do I take off and how....to see what the problem is? do the sides come off by the brake and clutch pedals? Or does that front plate where the key goes come off?

That depends on the year/serial number of the tractor. early tractors can remove the panel where the key switch is. There should be one bolt in the center of the panel at the bottom. 9/16" wrench.

Later tractors the side panels come off. There is one nut (1/2") on the front of the panel. Remove the 4020 nameplate panel first and then remove the nut. Then slide the panel to the rear to remove.

Both versions can have the top cowling removed with either 4 or 5 bolts that might access the leak also.

Here is the part. It is a 1968 4020. You darned near need to be a contortionist to get that thing out of there. It was leaking at the top fitting. What might this be? I ordered a manual but it is not here for a few days. Ill go o the dealer and order one i guess, no holes in the line probably leaking around the fitting. Any tricks to getting the bottom part back on? Lol

F600975F-D3B6-4018-AB1B-5578D320B53F.JPG

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #6  
Line is probably cracked in the flare. Have you considered replacing that line with a high pressure hose?

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #7  
R10094_________UN01JAN94.gif
Looks like #14 in diagram. It is the brake pressure line coming off the steering valve.. Part number AR32238. They are still available. I assume it took a 7/16" wrench? The lower fitting is easier to tighten if you have a 7/16" crow foot wrench with a 6" extension.

Thanks and yes it did take a 7/16" wrench. We were out of town last week so I couldn't post. That part is put in and now there are no leaks visible in that area.....Now with that said, it is leaking somewhere else. Not a lot but I had never noticed it before, I bought this tractor last year and it has been running fine, using a bit of hydro fluid but nothing bad until that line cracked.

On the right hand side underneath and a bit in front of the brake pedal, there is a small 2" by 3" plate held on by screws in two corners. Mine is missing the top screw so it is a bit loose. Fluid is now coming out of that when motor is running. If you take it off while running and put your hand in front of it, there is a constant fine mist coming out. It will spray up and get on my foot as I am on the fuel pedal some.

There is a larger plate underneath the tractor, about 5" by 7" held on by two bolts on the sides. It is also dripping/streaming out there after a while. I took the bottom plate off and used a flashlight...can't see the leak anywhere.

If it is not showing in the space under the steering wheel......where would it be coming from to be going into and out of the two places described above?

Thanks,

/ 4020 hydraulic fluid leak #9  
'68 4020 leaking oil in clutch housing could be engine rear main seal or either of the input shafts for trans or pto.

Not sure, but none of those choices sound good or inexpensive to fix. Would you have to break the tractor open to verify? And repair? Ballpark of what something like that would cost? Sounds above my paygrade :)