4020 what does this do?

/ 4020 what does this do? #21  
Thanks Jag - do I need to cross my left foot over the right? :D

I did get my manual - it says - "do it quick to minimize loss'

the ring ears are nice and big so I'm thinking ...

I can do this
I can do this

now the bigger question

why except for a pump would one ever design an implement with a big-ole-heavy-arse-poorly-balanced shaft to run at 1000 rpm:confused:

GOD Bless!

/ 4020 what does this do? #22  
Thanks Jag - do I need to cross my left foot over the right? :D

I did get my manual - it says - "do it quick to minimize loss'

the ring ears are nice and big so I'm thinking ...

I can do this
I can do this

now the bigger question

why except for a pump would one ever design an implement with a big-ole-heavy-arse-poorly-balanced shaft to run at 1000 rpm:confused:

GOD Bless!

Do you meam why aren't all things 540?

If that is the case it is due to torque. You can transmit greater torque down a 1000 RPM shaft than a 540 by use of gearing. If you take a 540 corn chopper vs a 1000 RPM chopper. Both spin the cutter head and blower at about the same RPM. Yet the 1000 RPM chopper has a much great capacity and can handle greater input power. This is due to the increase in RPM's allows for smaller shafts to transmit the same power, or the same size shafts to transmit greater power. Then at the point of use (cutter head) the gearing is changed to the desired speed. Same reason that 4wd drive tractors and loaders use a planetary gears set in the hubs. The drive line can handle more power by increasing the RPM's but reducing the torque till it gets to the wheels.

/ 4020 what does this do? #23  
I thank you O Obi-Jag:thumbsup:

Its a bit hard being an latent farmer with an electrical background, two thumbs and only 24 hours in a day but would you give one more counsel?

I'm fixing to get a 15' med duty wing so I have at least one implement worthy of the 3140.
Seen the posts about 540 imps being "worth" more since most tractors have a 540 PTO.

I'll keep this unit so resale means nada
I'll most likely buy used - have a hard time with salesman.

Which speed would you get?
Looking at TH it seems like the same model from momma Deere can come in either flavor?
So ifin the shaft is at 1000 vs 540 the "step-up" to final shaft would be less for the 1k pto right?? less diff in gear teeth ratios seems like a good thing?

Thanks again!

/ 4020 what does this do? #24  
I'll restate what jagyzf stated earlier [/quote]"This is due to the increase in RPM's allows for smaller shafts to transmit the same power, or the same size shafts to transmit greater power."] This means less stress(torque) at 1000 rpm on driveshaft due to nearly twice the speed which is very important on higher HP tractors and less important on lower HP tractors. On a 97 engine HP tractor such as yours I'd think it would come down to which style pto used cutter you could find as 540 or 1000 would be immaterial.

/ 4020 what does this do? #25  
As TxJim said it really shouldn't matter, 100-120 Hp is a "transitional" range where I see as many 540 as I do 1000 if the unit takes a large amount of Hp to run. If all of your other equipment will be 540 I would get 540, unless you find that most in the area are 1000. Then for resale you might want 1000, as you said resale means nothing then I would get 540.

/ 4020 what does this do? #26  
As TxJim said it really shouldn't matter, 100-120 Hp is a "transitional" range where I see as many 540 as I do 1000 if the unit takes a large amount of Hp to run. If all of your other equipment will be 540 I would get 540, unless you find that most in the area are 1000. Then for resale you might want 1000, as you said resale means nothing then I would get 540.

540 it is:thumbsup:

we are at the Houston livestock show doing our GO TEXAN duty - great thing for the kids

hope to get a free hat at the Deere booth - whish me luck:laughing:

Jim - did I read the telegram correct - the Flats have hit doouble digit population?? hope its not getting too crowded for ya

Thanks guys

/ 4020 what does this do? #27  
540 it is:thumbsup:

Jim - did I read the telegram correct - the Flats have hit doouble digit population?? hope its not getting too crowded for ya

Yes it's been getting too crowded because of all the city slickers that have moved in my area even before this tiny suburbia of 200+ residents was voted in existence. I've lived in the "country" all my life and I wanted to die in the "country"!!!!!!!! I'll still shoot my guns or what ever comes to mind when I so desire as there's no police force or city ordinances.

/ 4020 what does this do? #28  
Yea even in Frog Pond we got to the point were there is local law.

Thank GOD for their fully auto AK47's - tears them dam hogs up:thumbsup:

guess my point is when they come I'm betting they be your friends and maybe you can talk the city counsel into a 47 or two and enough ammo to keep the preditors at bay.

Once they/you become law you can get the tacticle stuff you need to keep the Flats varmit free

whoops sorry got off on a tangent :D