4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission?

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission?
Thanks TBT ..I'll post back on how it went.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #12  
Oh yea and I got mine with AG/R1 tires.

Oh yea and I got mine with AG/R1 tires.

Turf tires wouldn't be appropriate for what I'll be doing with it.

Not sure I've been able to sort out the incentives for the 4025 4wd that they're advertizing on the website.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #14  
Turf tires wouldn't be appropriate for what I'll be doing with it.

Not sure I've been able to sort out the incentives for the 4025 4wd that they're advertizing on the website.

I think if I take the loader off and use a finish mower on the back and try to avoid turning sharp when I can I dont think the AGs will be bad on my lawn. Mainly because I aint really got one and I live in the sand so any minor ruts will fill back in when it rains. So not sure what your using it for, but I think we wont have to mess with our grass again till spring so I will be drivin around the yard a lot till then to see if it ruts up and then decide if I'll put a finish mower on the back. Just throwin this out there because you mentioned turf tires. I plan on using mine for all sorts of minor to medium farming.

More FYI
I got the tractor, front end loader, 1 set of remotes, delivery, rear tires filled, middle buster, brush/grill guard, tax, and all other fees my total out the door was $22,633. I went 0 down and got my payments at just under $312 a month for 84 months. I dont plan on payin on it that long, but if work slows down $312 is easier than $500 or so.

From your earlier post I wasn't sure what an R1 was..but I got the low down today.

They only had 4025's on the lot with the R1 and R3 type tires, no turfs. I spoke to the dealer about the differences and he mentioned that the R1's will dig into a lawn, particularly when you're cutting a tight turn and that they're designed more for use w/ ground engaging implements.

Most of what I'll be doing is mowing and snow removal. I'd also like to be able to use it to mow around the house. As it is now we're only there four or five weeks out of the year and in early summer the grass can grow a foot in three weeks. Not real sure at this point but I'm kinda leaning toward the R3's. They seem to cut it down the middle between turfs and the ags and my guess is I should pick up some added traction with the 4WD.

They took a 4025 out on the lot for me and I drove it back and forth, working the gears and the hi/lo. The transmission is a piece of cake as was the double clutch. I think I'll be very satisfied going with a manual. And lots of power in this bad boy too. It really rumbles when you fire it up. Heee Haaww!!

The price for a 4025 4WD w/FEL plus 6% sales tax was $21014. That's without any Mahindra financing. I think if I take their financing they add another $2200 to the price.

My primary residence is in NJ. The dealer I visited today was in Pennsylvania. My farm property is in ME. I'm going to call the two closest dealers up there on Monday and get their prices for the same config.

I'm going to look at a Massey 2615 next. This is a 50hp machine. I'm going to go with the same config, 4WD/ FEL. From what I gather, they're priced at around $22k.

The Mahindra 4025 is a fine tractor TBT..thanks for hangin with me.

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #16  
I dont mind hangin at all, but there is more folks on here with a lot more experience than me with tractors and I am kinda surprised that more havent chimed in. I guess everyone is workin at the moment. R4 tires are pretty nice. They are the industrial tires. They look really good on the 4025 and make it look like a beast, but I dont believe as functional for what I want. I guess you plan on putting a finish mower on the back? For a MMM (mid mount mower/ belly mower) you would have to go with a different model.

Just like everyone says go sit in all of the different models and brands you can before you pull the trigger. Some people end up with a different brand just because the like the dealer more or believe they will get better service so they go with a different color tractor than what they set out to get. I had a buddy that wanted the new Mahindra Max and the dealer where he lives in North East Texas just kinda of said this is the price do you want it or not? Never spent anytime with him on anything else. He went down the road to John Deere and they greeted, spent time, and answered his questions. He ended up with the new JD1026R. So just take your time.

As far as I am concern if you go Mahindra you went International. Mahindra bought the old International plant in India and all the castings are the old International tractors. My wife gets upset when we go to TSC (tractor supply) and she cant find a Mahindra shirt. I tell her just buy an International shirt same thing.

Well...I'm back to the well...need more input on the tractor decision.. TIA

With apparently few takers, it's likely I'm going to need something to mow 50+ acres annually on an ongoing basis. After a time it may be that we'll put the fields back in the CRP where mowing is part of the terms and conditions. Which brings me to tractor HP. With that much grass, I think at a minimum I'm going to need a 7 or 8 foot cutter. After somewhat familiarizing myself with tractors and looking at three brands, JD, Kioti and Mahindra, I think I like the old school simple tractors best. To my mind the Mahindra 25 series fits the bill both for their price and relative simplicity. But I also like the 4WD feature as I think it should be especially useful for snow removal and work around the pond area. The 5510 may still be too small and the 5530 seems to be a more complex machine w/turbo and shuttle. Which brings me to the question, how important is 4WD? My neighbor owns most of the farmland surrounding me and he's suggesting I go with the 2WD. What say you? Here's some pics of the property:
485550_524421077571620_152672301_n.jpg
133897_524423294238065_1910989496_o.jpg
mainehouse2.jpg

Last edited:
   / 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #18  
I thought I might chime in.

" With that much grass, I think at a minimum I'm going to need a 7 or 8 foot cutter."

You may want to price a 8ft cutter. (I assume you are talking about Bush Hog type brush cutters) They get pricey. You may want to ask about HP requirements. I think @ 45 PTO hp you will be underpowered. If its just grass and REAL light brush your cutting you might think about a 9ft sickle bar mower. They require much less HP and good used ones run around $1200. A 6ft rotary cutter could be used for everything else. 50 acres is a lot of cutting!!

"But I also like the 4WD feature as I think it should be especially useful for snow removal and work around the pond area."

Other than the price, there is nothing a 2wd will do better than 4wd. They are much safer with a loader. I don't think you mentioned a loader, but I think you will want one some day. They are by far the most usefull attachment you can have. When your in 4wd you also have 4 wheel brakes, which is good while working around wet areas, like ponds.

Happy hunting, Bill

/ 4025 4WD sliding or constant mesh transmission? #19  
I say it is up to you no matter what, but I think the 4wd 4025 is the bang for the buck. Someone on here mentioned that they know of someone or themselves run a 7ft with 2sets of blades, gearboxes, etc. on a 2wd 4025 and it does better than a 6ft. Another thing is time. How much time do you have to maintain the 50 acres? More time less tractor, less time more tractor. As far as snow I dont deal with it down here. In fact I dont recall us getting anything that stayed on the ground for over an hour since the mid 80s, but I am in the sand and 4wd is almost a must. If you want a loader than I say 4wd is a must and I think it is something like 2wd with a loader is best over 60hp+ because it will be a more powerful heavier unit.

You know you want the 4wd 4025!...lol.

Good luck!!.

I really like the 25 series TBT. I'd be all over a 55/6525 4WD if they offered either. The sickle bar is a good idea. I understand they can be a bit more to maintain but perhaps not such a big deal...maybe a 6 foot rotary cutter to go around the rough areas as well. The last time the fields were cut it was done with a sickle bar.

The correlation between time and HP is a good one. I've got just over 6 years to retire if it all goes to plan. Hopefully I can get more seat time once I'm there.