4035 spits and sputters at high rpms

/ 4035 spits and sputters at high rpms
One more 12hr work day then the new filter goes on and test . Thanks for the tip Dave keep them coming!! jjlite

Ok filter changed New fuel checked fuel lines coming from tank to filter ran for 20min misses like crazy white/grey smoke!! called the dealer and it could be the timing. I asked him if its something they could do in my garage or if they wanted it at there shop. Hoping they will do it here because they are about an hour away and I have no trailer. Waiting for a call back. I also noticed when it was missing the primer on top of the filter was pulled right down tight would that be normal? After I shut down it slowly came back up then it stayed up after I restarted. I didn't run long enough to see when it would go back down due to the SNOW STORM that we are having!!!! will let everyone know what we find.

/ 4035 spits and sputters at high rpms #23  
Did you try taking off the fuel tank cap while it was doing this? Just curious.

Yes took fuel cap off. It was my first thought when I noticed the hand primer pulled shut .No vacuum on the fuel tank that I could tell and no change on how it ran. thanx.

/ 4035 spits and sputters at high rpms #25  
I think if its pulling the primer down there is a restriction somewhere between the tank and filter.

/ 4035 spits and sputters at high rpms #26  
Sorry the filter change did not work...may be the timing thing...please, for my future reference, keep us updated!

Thanks,

Rich

/ 4035 spits and sputters at high rpms #27  
I think if its pulling the primer down there is a restriction somewhere between the tank and filter.

That was kinda what I was thinking. Ice (Michigan still cold?) or some other blockage at the tank outflow?

I did drain the tank and all looked clean I though that something maybe floating around in there(rat) but didn't see anything. Dealer said it could be possible that when it starts to miss its pulling it down. The weather is a lot better its darn near 30f!! It was in the 40s last week and it ran the same. I am confused a little on that primer is getting pulled down. I did start the tractor and hold it down for a while and didn't seem to change how it ran.

/ 4035 spits and sputters at high rpms #29  
The primer MIGHT be a normal thing. I have never looked at mine when it was running... Mahindra had a fuel line problem with the 35 series a couple years ago. I think it was crimping related on the ends of the lines and I think I heard something about twisted or kinked fuel lines between the fuel tank and fuel filter. These tractors do not have a lift pump to supply fuel to the injector pump, and the injector pump sucks it's own fuel out of the tank. If there was a restriction in the lines, that could suck down the primer... But, you would think that this would not be something that consistantly took 20 minutes to do... then cause your problem. I would think that it would only take a minute or so... I had a 77 Dodge power wagon that had it's tank switch solenoid stick between tanks restricting flow... It would start fine, run a half mile down the road, then die.. wait a couple minutes, and repeat..

/ 4035 spits and sputters at high rpms #30  
If you are willing to do a little troubleshooting, I may be able to tell you if your problem is injector pump timing related. Your tractor has a Bosch injector pump. The pump has two electrical solenoids on it. The one nearest to where the fuel line comes in near the top is the fuel shutoff solenoid. Power is applied to this solenoid whenever the key is ON, which allows fuel flow. The other solenoid is located at the rear where the injector lines leave the pump heading to the injectors. This is the KSB solenoid. When 12v is applied to this solenoid, the internal pressure regulator is over ridden, which basically advances the pump timing more than normal. At the front of the tractor, just above the battery, you will see a blue timer/relay that says ' TIMER KSB ' on it [ well, on my tractor, anyway ]. When you first start your tractor, this timer applies 12 volts to the KSB solenoid for a period of time [ 20 minutes maybe..?? ]. Your mission, if you think you can do it in a safe manner, is to go start your tractor, let it run for a minute, then pull this timer out... [ practice with the motor off would be a good thing ]. This shuts off the KSB by removing the 12 volts to it. If your motor then starts to miss like you described, then your problem is injector pump timing related.... if not.... well then move on...