40x60 Metal Building Cost?

/ 40x60 Metal Building Cost?
After a ton of research, and many building quotes, and wondering if I should build a steel or pole barn, and how much I can afford, and ALL your guys input, I'm getting closer to making the barn a reality.

Here's the latest

40x72x14 with 6/12 pitch, 16 inch overhang, pole barn
40x48 will be enclosed and 40x24 will be 3 sided-run-in
40x48 enclosed section with have ceiling lined with metal and 12" of blown in insulation

1 - 10x12 door (track door - insulated)
1 - 12x14 door (track door - insulated)
2 - entrance doors
2 - windows
4" reinforced concrete floor (40x72)
very little excavation required (less than 2')
no electrical
no side wall insulation - yet

Estimated cost: $30K

Local guy, excellent reputation, has built many other local pole barns and homes. I have checked his work and he pays attention to detail. He starts the job and works until it's finished. He estimated that this barn would be complete within two weeks, weather permitting. What am I missing? Your input is appreciated! Thanks again.

/ 40x60 Metal Building Cost? #22  
What about water runoff from the roof? Are you using gutters or are you going to put a 2 foot perimeter of gravel around the building so the rain does wash away the soil around the building?

/ 40x60 Metal Building Cost? #23  
....I"d need a storage for my toys, tractor, atv's etc. I don't understand why everybody builds a pole building, high structure, 12,14 ft. What is the purpose for the hights?
My neighbor has a pole building 25x45x14. He parks his small boat ,his truck, Harley, small JD mover, and a couple of junks there. Thats it. 3 car garage size blng. would've been plenty. He spent 30 000 for what couldn't been 10000. If he needed it for a hay or he wanted some built in rooms , then OK, it makes sense. But nothing like that in his case. Just tons of wasted material and money. And he has a condensation inside issue. I believe many people are just like him. Big, tall building and the biggest object inside is a pick up truck.
Please don't tell me , that a pole building is the cheapest structure... I understand , that a pole building without a concrete floor is maybe only option and it is a great option. But with a concrete floor / slab/.??

I just don't get it.

Joe

/ 40x60 Metal Building Cost? #24  
With me, height means I will never again have to pull a vertical muffler off to get a tractor in the garage... next tractor will probably have a cab... kind of plan for the future. Garage is already too small for me... fiqure what you need and double or triple it.

mark

praha said:
....I"d need a storage for my toys, tractor, atv's etc. I don't understand why everybody builds a pole building, high structure, 12,14 ft. What is the purpose for the hights?
My neighbor has a pole building 25x45x14. He parks his small boat ,his truck, Harley, small JD mover, and a couple of junks there. Thats it. 3 car garage size blng. would've been plenty. He spent 30 000 for what couldn't been 10000. If he needed it for a hay or he wanted some built in rooms , then OK, it makes sense. But nothing like that in his case. Just tons of wasted material and money. And he has a condensation inside issue. I believe many people are just like him. Big, tall building and the biggest object inside is a pick up truck.
Please don't tell me , that a pole building is the cheapest structure... I understand , that a pole building without a concrete floor is maybe only option and it is a great option. But with a concrete floor / slab/.??

I just don't get it.

Joe

The reason for 14' height:

Primarily for my lift. I have a 10' ceiling in my garage and that is just not high enough. 14' is a sensible height. 16' would be better.

Concrete slab:

This will be my workshop and storage building. Sucks to work on gravel or dirt. If it was just for storage, gravel or dirt would probably work fine.

Everybody I talk to says to build bigger that you expect. I have factored that into the building size and height for future needs. It will be pretty hard to raise the roof after the building is built and the cost is minimal when you do it up front.

CATMAN said:
What about water runoff from the roof? Are you using gutters or are you going to put a 2 foot perimeter of gravel around the building so the rain does wash away the soil around the building?

Gutters! I forgot to add that to the original post. Thanks for remembering!

/ 40x60 Metal Building Cost? #27  
For sure I would want 14' min as I would have an overhead lift as well. Also projects tend to get large. As well material comes in big sizes. My shop/garage when I get to build on our new land will be 60' x 180' x 14' or 16' tall. I will be able to put everything inside. I will also have a 60'x 80' shop as part of the 180'.

My thought is I am not getting any younger so I better make it so I can make things easier. Like overhead material transfer. I also want to make it so I need as little help as possible. Sometimes it is harder to get help when you need it.

My building will be metal frame but outside it will be wood siding and a metal 7/12 roof. At 9000 ft we will get snow and wind and a metal building would look funny in the middle of the forest.

Just some of my ideas.;)

Shane

/ 40x60 Metal Building Cost? #28  
40x60x14 here, and it's full right now in Feb. Boat make it very full with tractor, tiller, rotary, BB, grader blade, plow, RFM, PHD, 2 dirt bikes, 3, 4-wheelers, lawn mowers, walk behind tillers etc...

14' height lets me add a lean-to in the future
once boat hits the water come late May it will empty out .

/ 40x60 Metal Building Cost? #29  
Of course, if there's a reason like lift, boat etc.it makes perfect sense. Concrete is not something I'd question.
Well, I guess some people just build these buildings , 'cause they like it big and /or "what if" factor plays a role as well.

Joe

/ 40x60 Metal Building Cost? #30  
I just finished my 40x60 fully insulated with 14' sides 2 12x12 overhead doors one 3' mandoor. Wood trusses with concrete and a 15x60 lean to on one side for right at $34k. I did my own dirt work and ended up having to have about 5 loads of sand to finish the leveling up. Price doesn't include wiring the building or the gravel around the sides/lean to.(I'm an electrician and went a little overboard on the lights and the gravel was right around $2k for 4 loads.