4100 Operating Manual? softcopy? rear wheel?

/ 4100 Operating Manual? softcopy? rear wheel? #1  

coloradotrout

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn
JD posts the 4110 manual online. I picked up a used 4100 and would like to have that flavor if possible.

Also.. the rear tires were installed with the valve stem "out". On the 4110, that is suppose to be the "wide" setting. On the 4100 that appears to be the "narrow" setting. So I've swapped tires - now valve stem to the 'inside' - they are wider. Is that OK? Any issues with doing that?

/ 4100 Operating Manual? softcopy? rear wheel? #2  
Enjoy!!!

4100 manual

I'd print this out, it might disappear from the site...

/ 4100 Operating Manual? softcopy? rear wheel?
Excellent!!! Thanks. A quickt cut/paste to Word, and I'll have my own copy.

Interesting.. that manual says the R4s cannot be reversed. Hmmm.. with the valve stems out, the rear wheels are about 34.7 inches centerline apart as it states. But if I put the stems in, then I get another 3 inches of seperation, or about 37.5 inches. I wonder why the manual says only R1s can be changed and not the R4s? Load issues maybe? Added wear to the axles?

/ 4100 Operating Manual? softcopy? rear wheel? #4  
I dunno, but there can also be compatilbility issues...

With Luck, someone smart (like ol' Dutch uh-hem..) will chime in with a SMART answer... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 4100 Operating Manual? softcopy? rear wheel? #5  
I'm just guessing but the MMM may not fit or may rub against the tires. My turfs have the valve stem inside and if I'm not mistaken it is the wide setup...

Hypernix

Ho yeah this is on a 41110.

Hypernix

/ 4100 Operating Manual? softcopy? rear wheel? #6  
Rockyridge -

How did you manage to find the on-line version of the 4100 manual when the website doesn't have a "view" for it?

I'd like to get my hands on an on-line version of the 4600 if I could... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Bob

/ 4100 Operating Manual? softcopy? rear wheel? #7  
Hi Bob! How've you been?!

here is the 4600 manual.

another poster, cef2lion, showed me where to find them. Glad we could help!

Right now all I have attached is the FEL and 4' box blade. In the "stem out" position, the 3 pt bars are rubbing the tires. The metal is worn away about 1/8" or so. In the "stem in" position I have 37.5" of space compared to 34.5". The manual says R4s cannot be swapped, but it would seem to be OK. Could rear axle, gears, or bearings be overloaded maybe? That's 1.5" of lever arm hanging out further?

/ 4100 Operating Manual? softcopy? rear wheel? #9  
I've had my R4's flipped to the wide stance, stems in, since I've owned it (7/98) and haven't experienced any problems at all. What I have experienced is better stability on slopes and easier 3PH access.

Thanks for that post. Sounds like MMM fits fine in the "wide" stance. The front wheels look to be mounted in the middle of the wheel, so no advantage one way or the other.

All I plan to run for now is my FEL and boxblade. Maybe someday if my lawn tractor poops out, I'll get the MMM or rear mower.

HOw many hours on your '98? Anything major to keep an eye on?